Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Animals adapting
We are making some serious changes to our planet and it has been hard on plant and animal populations. Some species however are finding ways to adapt.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/...-manatees/

The most interesting is the Manatees using the hot water from power plants to keep warm. The saddest is the Orangutans using the logging roads since we have cut their trees down.
I am sure there are many more adaptations going on. I know our local ducks and geese no longer fly south for the winter. The city is a good food source and the big buildings give off heat and create micro climate areas. Who knows how it will effect things if the ducks don't migrate.

What we are doing to the planet is a giant experiment and we have no idea of the outcome. Huh
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

This is very interesting and some of the adaptations are sad -especially the Orangutans who may save energy using the logging roads, but who are losing their home.

But the story about the Eurasian Blackcaps is really very interesting. That human 'interference' (i.e. supplying them with a very welcome food source in Britain) is actually changing the physical characteristics of this bird; actually changing its shape -and in such a short time.
I think these changes are going on all around us. Some we probably have not noticed yet. We have caused climate change and the whole world is going to change because of it.

I wonder what adaptions we are making. We are changing the whole planet by our actions so how is that effecting us?

I am impressed by how animals cope with change. They find new food sources and new places to live.
Orangutans are the smartest so who knows what they will do. I have seen pictures of them trying to fish and I understand they will take fish from fishermen nets. I understand that they will "borrow" a canoe to go downstream and just leave it when they get where they want to go. I wonder how long it will be before they learn to paddle a canoe. Or "borrow" a motor scooter?
Catherine

The Orangutans may yet learn how to put sugar in the fuel tanks of the logging trucks....secretly.....by night.
It would be easy to teach them and they certainly could do it....if they didn't eat the sugar first.
There is no doubt that some animals are learning things from us so that they can survive.

Our local pigeons understand how to use our subway system to keep warm and get around. They use the automatic doors to go into the stations to get warm. That is an extreme urban adaption.
Sparrows have know for years that they can nest inside street lights and the bulb will keep them warm.

Possums have traveled up into Canada on trucks bringing goods to market. When they unload in the city the possums got out and have stayed and done very well here.
Catherine