Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dog Theft is on the increase
I was reading somewhere recently (sorry, I have forgotten where) about the rise in dog thefts both in North America and in Britain.

Dogs are being stolen for a number of reasons. Sometimes it's for ransom money. Sometimes to sell on, and some pedigree breeds can fetch over £1000 or dollars.
Sometimes the theft is for much more harrowing reasons (as if the above aren't bad enough) But some dogs are still used for research or for puppy farms or as bait dogs.

So this has to start prompting dog owners to stop doing these things:

*Leaving dogs tied up outside shops or businesses.

*Leaving dogs unattended in parked cars. Smashing a window to grab the dog actually happens.

*Leaving dogs to run free and unattended in gardens. There have been cases where dogs were even taken from fenced gardens.

*Leaving dogs with dog walkers/pet sitters who are not well known, and whose references haven't been fully researched.
This is very disturbing. I think you are right, we are hearing about more thefts.
Your safety list is very good. Dogs are so vulnerable when they are tied up outside a store. Leaving them in a car is the worst. It is dangerous even if they don't get stolen.

It would be so frightening to have a dog stolen. You would never be sure why it was taken and what was done to it.

It would be a lifetime of regret if you lost a dog that way. Better to be safe than sorry and take some safety precautions for your dog.

I must look and see if I can find any articles about the numbers of thefts.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

For many people it is as upsetting as if they'd had their child stolen. So the question to ask is, "Would I leave my three-year-old tied up outsde a shop?"

It's difficult, as it can mean not taking the dog along when shopping has to be done (unless there are two people) Some people look on the walk down to the store as one of the dog's daily walks. Or are on their way somewhere else and have to leave the dog in the car while shopping. But with all the dangers about nowadays, those routines maybe should be changed.

There have even been cases of house break-ins when dogs were stolen. But they are less common so I have heard.

I used to lock up the house well, if ever I had to leave Misty at home for any reason, and go out (such as to the dentist.) I was never really happy until I was back home again!
I'm part of a facebook page for lost and missing pets in the area and there was one not too long back where the dog had been stolen from a rural area just outside of Gallatin (the city next to me). The collar was found down the street from me but the dog was found roaming on the other side of the city. Lets just say there is no way the dog got there on his own. It was an case an outside dog and the rope he was tied up with was cut. Thankfully they were reunited in just 5 days but it was crazy. Last I heard he was very tired and is now an inside dog.

My babies aren't outside unless someone is home. Mia is so bad with meeting people no one would dare take her though. She bites first then asks questions later. I'm working on breaking her of that habit but it's hard because no everyone wants to be the bait in that situation. Once I'm a full time trainer I'll get to break her of it.
Molly just tries to intimidate anyone that comes into the yard. If they tried to jump or grab her she'd take off the other direction.
Buddy would follow anyone though.
Misty would have challenged any intruder, growled, bared her teeth and put her hackles up. She may even have bitten an intruder. And that includes if she had been in the car.
But what she'd have done if some juicy treats were offered....is anybody's guess. Food was her 'thing'.

Jet....now he would have been so fearsome that the intruder would have thought they were having the bad dream of their life....unless they had a little squeaky toy with them, in which case Jet would have run a mile.
I was out walking my snake and a guy on a bike stopped to see him. He wanted to hold him, but I didn't feel comfortable. He was still on his bike. What if he just took off. I wouldn't risk it.

When I took five of my own snakes to display at the street festival for the Reptile Centre, I had them in secure travel containers. I only allowed one snake out at a time. I let people who were in the display area hold the snake, but I was right there and there was only one out so I could really watch them.

You can't be to safe with pets.

Dogs are easier to steal, but cats get stolen too.

Having a pet stolen would be a never ending nightmare.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine