Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Parrot taking a shower.
That's a hoot.
When Anna was little we visited Longleat, which is a safari park. They had quite a large collection of large exotic birds mostly flying free. There was a huge rainstorm and we sheltered under a canopy. One of the large Parrots joined us and then decided to shower in the water running off the canopy. It was very thorough, lifting each wing to make sure it got thoroughly wet all over, and turning and twisting just to be sure. it kept us entertained for ages, in fact we were sorry when the rain stopped!!

At the vets a couple of months ago we were joined in the waiting area by a chap with a very large, white Parrot type bird. He had only had it for a few weeks and was still finding out about it. Mostly from the bird itself.
The receptionist asked the birds name and the BIRD replied."My name is Brolly"
The man confirmed this.
Then she asked what he was (presumably meaning what type of bird). Brolly replied, quite sarcastically, "I'm a BIRD"
When she asked how old he was Brolly replied "I'm 10 years old" which was apparently correct.
Now I'm sure he was just responding to known questions but it was all so appropriate that he had us all in fits of laughter. He hissed at a cat that came in while he was there and whistled to a dog. He then hooted with laughter at their reactions. The owner covered him up when he made a rather unkind remark about a somewhat large woman who came in with a hamster!! We were called in next to see the vet so we missed out on whatever happened next but he was muttering away to himself under the cover when we left.
Greeting from Wales.
Hwyl Fawr o'r Cymru.
This is the web site of the rescue I volunteer at.
http://guinearescue.blogspot.co.uk/
It is noticeable that Parrots answer questions appropriately. He may have learned the responses, but he used them properly. I have heard of birds that use the words appropriately in ways that they were not taught. I think parrots actually learn the meaning of the words. It just takes time. A ten year old bird would know a lot of words.

I can picture the parrot playing in the rain. They clearly like to be clean.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine