Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Killer whales feeding
This is a beautiful video. The guy was so close to the whales. It was the sight of a lifetime and he remembered to take pictures. I am glad he shared.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-co...-1.2995089

I wouldn't call it a feeding frenzy though. They seemed pretty calm.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

It's amazing and such a treat -to be so close to these Orcas!
You're right, it's not such a 'frenzy' -just dinnertime!
I don't think Orcas do anything frenzied. They seem like pretty calm creatures. I would love to have been there to see them.
Catherine

I agree with you both; that's not a feeding frenzy at all. It's all rather sedate. Indeed, one of the comments below said (you will appreciate this, Catherine), "If this is a 'frenzy' then they are good Canadian whales. That's about as frenzied as we Canadians get about anything. Thanks for a great video."

It's interesting that several people pointed out that the title of the video was not appropriate, and comments have now been disabled. But the video is interesting, nevertheless.
I am unsure really...but thought Orcas' main food was Krill...? I may be mixing that up with another species of Whale, though.
If so, it's strange that Krill would come into such an area.
I think that it is ordinary whales which eat a lot of krill, Tobi. I just found an article about orcas (killler whales) and their eating habits here: http://www.whalefacts.org/what-do-killer-whales-eat/
Quote:"If this is a 'frenzy' then they are good Canadian whales. That's about as frenzied as we Canadians get about anything.
They are quite polite aren't they. They seem to be taking turns feeding.

I think they were feeding on a school of fish. As the article LPC posted says, Orcas eat fish, seafood and sea mammals. I suspect they would eat sea birds if they got the chance.
I notice that they even found moose in an Orca stomach. It sounds like they will eat anything that comes their way. The moose probably drowned and was eaten. Moose are a big animal and they usually are not found in the ocean. They could be swimming from one island to another. The west coast is full of little islands.
Catherine