Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Circus to end Elephant shows!
Very good news. Ringling Bros are to end their controversial Elephant shows as a response to public feeling.
The 13 Elephants are to be retired to a Conservation Centre in Florida.

http://www.care2.com/causes/victory-ring...shows.html

The only downside I can see so far, is that the Elephants won't be going to the Centre until 2018... But each one of us who signed petitions, has a part to play in this change.
You are right, this is good news.
It is good on so many levels.
All the petitions we sign are having an effect.Smiley42
Public opinion has shifted about animals in circuses and shows.Smiley32
There are enough animal protection laws to make it hard to use animals in shows anyhow.28

The elephants are going to be retired soon and can live out their lives in peace and dignity. I just don't know why they are waiting three years. It might take time to move all the elephants, but shouldn't they move the ones they can right now.

I wonder if the Sanctuary has to get space ready for them. Thirteen more elephants is quite a lot.

We will probably have to keep up the pressure, but I think elephant shows are a thing of the past. I don't remember ever liking watching animals do tricks. None of my pets do tricks or could even be trained to do tricks.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

No I didn't particularly want Misty to do tricks either. We had a good enough life, and she always did as she was told instantly (usually for safety purposes, nothing else.)

I am so happy to hear this news about the Elephants, and how public opinion has tipped the balance. That has happened quite quickly. It does seem the pen -or the mouse -is mightier than the sword.
I am noticing a shift in public opinion in general. As soon as an animal petition is posted there is an overwhelming response.

Companies are responding faster as well. Circuses have had elephants and other animals for many years, but they are willing to give it up because the public is against it.

These are both good things. It means we can change the world for the better. Someday animals will be treated kindly and will live free from cruelty. It will take time and we seem to have to deal with it one issue at a time, but there is a steady movement forward.

For thirteen elephants it means a chance for a peaceful life.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine