Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starving sea lion pups
This year starving sea lion pups have be washing ashore in large numbers. At first glance it seems to be a sea lion problem.
The truth is, it indicates a much more serious ocean problem. The fact that they are starving is an indication that the fish are being depleted.
We have upset the ocean balance so bad that baby ocean mammals are starving.

http://www.pewtrusts.org/en/about/news-r...on-problem

We should be worried. There are indications all over the world that things are in trouble. There is a lot needs to be done, but first we need to feed a whole lot of hungry sea lion babies.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

We always ignorantly imagine "there are plenty more fish in the sea".....well it seems that's not true. At least not for these poor Sea Lions. They do not have the option of becoming vegetarian/vegan, or refusing to choose canned sardines for their sandwiches.
I honestly didn't know over-fishing and the sheer weight of consumer demand for certain foods was causing this terrible problem for marine wildlife.
My feeling is the same as it's always been. That there are far too many people in the world, all wanting far too many things, for it to be fair-shares for all creatures we live with here.

Is anyone helping these Sea Lions?
There are marine rescue groups along the western coastline. Every year there are some baby seals and other animals that get separated from their moms. This year they have a large number of starving babies. The sheer numbers is what is making them aware of the problem.

It isn't just the lack of fish. It is our aggressive fishing methods. They go after one kind of fish and suck everything from the ocean, keep what they want and just dispose of the rest. I do mean dispose, they are not getting them back to the sea alive. If we are going to fish for food, we need a policy that we will use everything so we will not be taking as much.

It is not just our numbers. We are also very fussy. We want certain kinds of fish at certain times and we waste so much food. We do it with every thing else. We waste food! Sometimes we throw out more than we eat. This is the crime against nature. The Earth provides for all creatures, but we take more than we need and then spoil it so no one else can have it. We do it with water too. We are not a very well behaved species.
Catherine

It would just take love and respect, and consideration from others.
And while none of us wants to see anyone go out of business, our only option is to reduce consumer demand. It's only rising consumer demand which has led to the fishing methods being so brutal.
Oh for the old days -I suppose....when harvesting many foodstuffs was a slower procedure....when people were happy with simple meals...when there weren't so many people...etc
I know my feelings would be considered simplistic. But when I was a little girl, wartime rationing had only just ended. Mothers made excellent meals out of simpler ingredients, and some dinners were just as quickly prepared and cooked as today! Not much was wasted, if anything at all. No-one could afford to waste anything. But no-one expected exotic food every day of the week. Fresh fish was once a week. Most of the week there would be seasoned cheese made from sour milk, the remains of Sunday's roast, or broth made with the bones. (Yes I know...not very vegan. But we weren't then.) Things we ate then, and thrived on, people would turn their noses up at now.

(I am guilty!....I just found three yellowing cabbage leaves at the back of my fridge about 5 minutes ago! lol But in a way even they won't be wasted but put in a compost heap. Worms and insects will live on them, and wild birds will find forage there.)
My guinea pigs would have eaten your yellowing cabbage leaves. It is possible to live without wasting. When we didn't have much we didn't waste. Now we waste because we can and by doing so we deprive the rest of the planet of food.
People resent raccoons getting at their garbage, but they take all the racoon's real food sources. We are doing the same to the starving sea lions. We strip the sea bare and throw so much of it back as waste.

Quote:It would just take love and respect, and consideration from others.
You are so right. We need to change our attitude and simplify our lives. The planet can't handle us continuing on the way we have.
The sea lions are a symptom of what we have done.

I came across a newer article with a good video.
http://www.voanews.com/content/large-num...95713.html
It is sad to see them so starved. Many won't make it.Undecided
One more with a good video.
http://bc.ctvnews.ca/b-c-volunteers-help...-1.2294708

So it is a combination of over fishing and shifting ocean currents. Poor little sea lions, they did not ask for this.

Last videos, really.
http://www.kpbs.org/news/2015/mar/26/wha...diego-bea/
The second video shows how they are working with the babies. I swear I can smell fish when I watch it.
Catherine