Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fake Service Dogs
Fake service dogs are becoming a problem. It is easy to buy some kind of vest or cape that claims service dog status. People then demand that their dog be given the rights and privileges of a real service dog.
The trouble is, the fake service dogs are ill-behaved and cause problems, This gives real service dogs a bad name.

One Canadian Province is proposing to give real service dog owners special ID. This might be the answer. Real service dogs are trained and must pass before they can work as service dogs. We can't stop the sale of fake dog vests. So in future the vest will no longer be the proof that a dog is "working".
http://news.nationalpost.com/2015/03/23/...uide-dogs/
I have work ID so why shouldn't a trained dog.

Of course there is the issue of what kind of person pretends to have a service dog. I guess they are like the people who have fake Handicapped Parking Permits.
To quote one handicapped friend of mine. "You can have my parking spot if you are willing to take my disability"
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I hadn't even heard of this before. It seems that lots of people are faking the dog jackets.

Of course, this practice is morally reprehensible and must be stopped. But at the same time, I wonder whether such faking would be so prevalent if dogs hadn't been banned from so many places in the first place (restaurants, shopping malls, some buses, some trains, being in plane cabin, etc.)?
It's obvious that there has to be a dog ID card to stop this happening.

Many years ago I recall being tempted to do this (in jest really) To pretend I was deaf, so I could take Misty into a store with me, as I had no wish to tie her up outside. Of course I didn't do that as it didn't feel right and I am not a very good liar. But I admit to thinking about it!

I had no idea this had become such a problem.
Ideally dogs should be welcome everywhere. At very least there should be places where dogs are welcome. Those of us who like animals could choose those places. (Toronto has stores that welcome dogs and shopping in one is a friendly experience)

When the first service dogs were trained and started going out with their people, dogs were not welcome. They had to fight for their rights one step at a time. Those rights are not that secure. Every time someone uses a fake service dog vest and their dog acts up, they put at risk the rights of all legitimate service dogs. I sympathize that they want their dogs with them. (we all know that my favourite pet is never going to be welcome anywhere, except at the reptile centre)
It is selfish to put at risk the rights of service dogs because those dogs serve as eyes and ears and their people will be helpless without them.

Having ID may be the only solution, although I am sure fake service dog ID will soon become available.

Misty of course would have behaved admirably and would have helped to make other dogs welcome. It is tempting to want our pets with us. I always wanted to take Jonathan the Bearded dragon to the movies with me. She would have loved it and she could have stayed under my jacket. Instead I got a computer so I could watch movies at home with her.
Catherine

LOL! Jonathan with you at the movies! Now I like that.
What's the big deal? Animals are equally (if not less) unhygienic as humans. Babies have to be pretty unhygienic and scream also -but they are allowed everywhere! haha

Yes you are right. No-one needs to be putting genuine service dogs at risk. The more people pretend, the more prejudice will be against them. It's the old thing about not wanting to be scammed. If people can't tell the difference, all that the disabled people have fought for might be lost.
Quote:Yes you are right. No-one needs to be putting genuine service dogs at risk. The more people pretend, the more prejudice will be against them. It's the old thing about not wanting to be scammed. If people can't tell the difference, all that the disabled people have fought for might be lost.

That sums it up perfectly. We need to be careful to protect the special status of service dogs. If we don't, we make it harder for all disabled people. Right now service dogs are welcome (or at least they cannot be refused admission) and we are working to make places accessible to all people. Counterfeit anything puts all we have gained at risk. I am not handicapped and I prefer the more accessible buses. They are easier for all of us to board.

Maybe we need stores and businesses to declare animal friendly status so we as animal lovers can choose those stores. Some places that have sidewalk tables let you tie your dog beside the table you are sitting at. The dog is with you, but it is not officially on restaurant property. It's an animal friendly solution.

Jonathan loved to lie on my shoulder, with her face in my neck. She could stay there for hours and we watched many movies together. I went for dinner at the neighbours with her like that and she spent the whole meal on my shoulder. People were so used to seeing her on me that everyone was fine with her there. I think we would have been fine at the movie theatre.
Catherine