Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Earth Hour..March 28, 2015, 8:30pm-9:30pm
Just a reminder to you all that this Sat. night is Earth Hour. 8:30-9:30
If we all turn out the lights for even an hour we can help the whole planet.

If we try to live every hour as Earth Hour in whatever way we can we can make the future better. We as humans have been the cause of climate change. We are the only species that can fix it. If we don't fix it all the other species will suffer.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Oh dear, I have only just seen this, and didn't know about it. I had to go out all evening so there was no chance anyway. But I very much like silent times, switching everything off, with just a candle lit, or walking for an hour in the orchard in the night. I will do my hour later or maybe tomorrow evening for an hour.
It is a very special and lovely atmosphere with everything turned off anyway. Very very peaceful.
I think you live Earth Hour all the time. You never waste electricity.
We have huge high rise office buildings that leave their lights on all the time even though they are empty at night and on weekends.
Think of the power that would be saved if they would turn off even some of their lights. The big cities are over lighted. It is light pollution.
I never really see the stars any more, just the very brightest of them.

If we, the cities, turn out a few lights we can save so much electricity.

It is nice and peaceful to quiet things down and use candle light for an hour. Enjoy your Earth Hour when ever you celebrate it. I wasn't at home either so maybe I should celebrate a second earth Hour at home tomorrow. I like the idea.
Catherine

(03-29-2015, 05:30 PM)Catherine Wrote: We have huge high rise office buildings that leave their lights on all the time even though they are empty at night and on weekends.
Think of the power that would be saved if they would turn off even some of their lights. The big cities are over lighted. It is light pollution.
Here in the French countryside, we can still see the stars so clearly at night; very little "light pollution". My younger son couldn't believe how clear the sky was when he visited here the first time years ago!

Any "earth hour" or other PR exercise is worth it, if it draws the attention of people to issues that they wouldn't normally think about. But as you say, Catherine, it is the big cities, big stores, factories, etc. which really need to take note.

As our effort to save fuel, we only have the central heating on early morning and later evening, even in winter. During the middle of the day, even when cold (unless freezing, of course!) we dress warmly and keep active, without heating.
Maybe those high-rise buildings should just have the top floor lit up, and essential power on for other things which have to be kept running, such as security, refrigeration etc. And aircraft warning lights on top of the building. It would be good to keep the top floor lit up, for aircraft, in case there is a fog. But keeping the whole building lit is extremely wasteful.

I never had central heating, mainly because of the cost of installation and running (the cottage I live in never had it.) Misty and I kept warm with circulation during the day and were pretty hardy anyway -spent almost every minute of the day outside. She wore a dog coat until she had warmed up by walking. But if we had to come in (raining or something) I'd splurge, and put on a little electric heater for her while she was resting.
At night we got the log fire going, put a draught excluder under the door, and were toasty warm! Then we raced upstairs quickly to get under a double duvet and blanket!
I only got the stove put in the other room basically for her! I was thinking that as she grew older, she wouldn't want to be exercising most of the day. I didn't even think about me! I am used to it being 'brisk'. But that multi-fuel stove more or less takes the chill off the whole house now.
It's obviously putting out a little air-pollution into the atmosphere...but that can't be helped. We have to live somehow.

Mind you -it always takes me ages to get dressed and undressed in winter! So many layers! LOL
Those of you who live in the country use electricity sparingly. You just use what you need. You could teach the cities a thing or two.

When you have a big high rise, you would need to have heat and things like that. The roof lights and stairwell lights are a safety issue and so are the hallway lights on each floor. They don't have to be very bright lights, just enough to be safe. When not in use, the offices should be dark. Most of those lights are left on. This is where the big waste of power takes place.

Also, many places could use smaller more energy efficient light bulbs. I don't need a 100watt bulb in my bedside lamp. I have lights on my reptiles that serve as heat and light sources, so I don't need separate heating pads for them and I don't need separate lights for me. I positioned the tanks so I have light where I need it. I put the tanks on timers so they are efficient and come on and go off at the right times.

We use electricity. Our lives, our homes are set up for that, but we don't need to waste so much. If Earth Hour gets people to at least think about their power use then it has made a difference.

I miss seeing the stars.
Catherine