Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Myths about baby birds that are out of the nest
Toronto Wildlife Centre has come up with some good information to dispel the myths about baby birds that are out of the nest. Every year well meaning people pick up babies that they should leave alone.
Sometimes baby birds are supposed to be out of the nest and learning to fly.

http://www.insidetoronto.com/blogs/post/...und-outsi/

I still remember being told that if you touched a baby, bird its parents would reject it. I had to rescue a baby bird from a cat and when I got it all sorted out, it was dark so I had to keep the baby overnight. When I took him outside first thing in the morning, the mother was watching for him and was overjoyed to hear him cry. She flew straight to him and took over his care. She didn't care where he had been all night. She was just glad to see him again.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

This is good information Catherine.

I remember once (back in the '80s) finding a young Crow who was flopping about all over the rocks (above the tide-line) on a beach nearby. I took hold of him, and took him immediately to a bird sanctuary close by for their help and advice.
Well I never got a telling-off as good as that in my life!
The man more or less frog-marched me back to where I'd found him and told me to let him go and not to interfere again. He said he was getting fed up of people 'rescuing' birds who were perfectly all right and just finding their way in life while their parents watched over them.

I learned a lesson that day.

But there are also times when we can help....as you did Catherine. I never have much luck with little waifs and strays from the wild. They always die when I try to help them. But what you did was wonderful, and helped them both so much.
The cat had cornered the little starling behind some paint cans. He survived long enough for me to answer his cries of terror, but he had paint on him. I had to clean that up. I couldn't turn him loose in the dark, but when I went out first thing in the morning I did not know what I should do. I put him on the ground. There were lots of starling around ignoring him, but when he gave a cry his mum came right down and claimed him. She was so happy and so was he. She must have feared the worst.
Baby birds are best with their mums.

Like you I picked up baby birds to "rescue" them. I know now I should not have rescued them. I also know we could have put them back. Where did the idea come from that animals will kill or reject a baby that has a human scent on it. I have never observed this with any species.
Catherine

Any injured or abandoned pest species here like starlings, sparrows and indian mynas, if they're taken to a shelter or vet clinic they're euthanased. It is illegal here to release pest species, so rescuing European starlings or any of the aforementioned is seriously frowned upon.

Unless an animal is showing serious signs of distress or injury, I'll just leave it be and let nature take its course. Mum and dad have to feed too, so they can't be with baby 100% of the time. Just because you don't see them doesn't mean they're not around Smile
The little Starling I rescued was hiding under some paint cans with a cat attacking him. I couldn't leave him to be killed by a cat.

I think Starlings have fit into our bird populations so well that we consider them one of our own bird species. They are not very different from our native birds. The birds you have in Australia are quite different. You have had more trouble with invasive species. Still, it is too bad that Starlings get euthanized. They didn't ask to be transported to another country.
Catherine

Don't get me wrong, I would have moved the bird as well. Just saying what happens here. While it is sad and I couldn't personally kill one, I understand the need to euthanase them as they're killing off our native birds much like they are in Canada where it is legal for people to kill them.
Quote:Don't get me wrong, I would have moved the bird as well. Just saying what happens here. While it is sad and I couldn't personally kill one, I understand the need to euthanase them as they're killing off our native birds much like they are in Canada where it is legal for people to kill them.

Is it legal to kill a Starling in Canada?
Introduced animals and plants are a problem all over the world. They often go wild because there is no natural predator to keep them in check.
I wish there was some way to remove them. I don't see how it is possible with starlings. There are so many of them and they are everywhere.

None of these animals asked to be introduced to a new area. It is different with the birds that have extended their range further north. They may be new, but they still fit into the local ecosystem.

With the invasive plants, groups of people go out and clear and area of the plant. It is slow work, but I think it is helping.
Catherine