Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Alabama Rot" killing dogs all over UK
The mysterious illness, CRGV (cutaneous and renal glomerular vasculopathy) -also known as the UK's "Alabama Rot" is resulting in the deaths of dogs from kidney failure.
No-one is exactly certain what the cause of the illness is, but it is believed to be picked up from the environment while out walking. It is non-transferable to humans and other animals apparently.
CRGV symptoms begin with skin lesions, and affect the kidneys later, causing renal failure, and frequently death.

This is a map of the UK areas where CRGV has struck:
http://alabamarot.co.uk/alabama-rot-uk-cases-map/

And there are pictures on that web page of examples of the skin lesions. Early treatment is recommended, as soon as a lesion is noticed, before the pathogen has a chance to affect the kidneys.
I have not heard of this illness before. I don't think we have a problem in Canada. Maybe it is too cold.
Good thing they are monitoring it. It gives people a chance to protect their dogs or at least get treatment soon enough. I notice from the map that some areas are more prone to have cases. It looks like the south coastal area is the worst place. That should help give clues as to the cause.

I think I have heard of the bacteria or at least a close relative. A cat I knew died from it. It sounds like a serious problem for dog owners. I hope they can sort out a treatment or better yet, a vaccine.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I hadn't heard of this, either. My son has two Labradors in the UK, who love going for long walks in the countryside (and especially near water). So I have written to him and sent him the link. I'm glad you mentioned this, Tobi. What a great forum this is!
I think the department for the environment ought to check out fish and amphibians in every county of the UK, to see if there is any evidence of skin lesions on them. Fishermen could also report any signs that they see. There should be a study.

If Ms. Macdonald is right, then there is also a threat to humans, via the bacteria itself, (not via their dogs) -which could lead to necrotising fasciitis.

I think this disease ought to be taken very seriously.

I'm glad to have been of some help maybe, for your son and his dogs, LPC.

The problem is -while we wait for 'scientific evidence'...dog walkers have no idea which are safe and which are dangerous areas, and have no advice about it.

Science, being what it is, would need all sorts of experiments (plus funding!) in order to come up with an answer and a solution. And knowing the way things go, that could take two or three years! Even if the answer was already discovered! But at least, thanks to the internet, findings would hopefully be reported to the general public who can then make up their own minds.

I'd like to bet this disease originates from some environmental toxin, or possibly stock management.....

All cases are to be referred to Anderson Moores veterinary services.
This is certainly a situation where the internet can help.

If we spread the word and people send information then we can actually help even though there is no funding for extensive research.

Monitoring the fish would be good. I wonder if there is a danger in eating the fish that have lesions. I think there are more unanswered questions, the more you look at it.

Looking at the map I can see a water connection. There are more reported cases in warmer coastal areas. Of course that might be a quirk of irregular reporting.

Early diagnosis and treatment help so getting the word out through sharing like this has got to help. Keep us posted if you can. I would love to know how the bacteria is transmitted and where it comes from.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine