Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reality TV show kills animals
The show The Island is coming under fire for the episodes where the contestants killed and ate local animals, including a rare species of crocodile.
There is a certain amount of cruelty in the slaughter methods so they really should be charged with animal cruelty.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entert...39809.html

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...495&at=dt0

It seems these reality TV shows think that they are above the law and above anything else. They seem to think that anything they want to do in the show is alright and should have no consequences. I hope they can charge them with animal cruelty. It would set an example for the other shows.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

If people didn't watch these so-called "survival" shows, they wouldn't exist. This case is particularly bad, judging by the article, but I have heard of previous cases where animals have suffered in such "reality" shows.
It would have been so easy to have a voice-over at certain points in the show, saying "In a true survival situation, some people may have to hunt and kill animals for food. But the makers of this programme have no wish to harm any animals for the sake of entertainment."

I know meat eaters would say that they eat meat anyway, and it is taking on full responsibility to do their own killing and butchering.

But in my opinion this is not a subject for entertainment. Even for a 'survival' show. And it is obvious unnecessary animal suffering was involved.
I understand in some cases animals have been brutally killed. I doubt very much they were in danger of starving. They were on an island in a warm area. If you can't find fruits, vegetables, and various foods from the sea, you don't belong on a survival show. Actually the shows are ridiculous anyhow. From what I have heard about them, if it were really a survival situation, the people would not make it.

That makes it worse that they are killing animals for entertainment

I found more about the show.
http://action.peta.org.uk/ea-action/acti...n.id=38473

I hope they are charged with animal cruelty.
Catherine

I didn't know about the pig being specially flown in so it could be crudely killed by the participants. That makes it worse.

As for the slaughter itself, if the pig was squealing for some time, then death was clearly not immediate and the poor animal suffered.
This is absolutely despicable. I had very mixed feelings about this particular show way before I heard the latest dreadful news. It just didn't seem quite 'real' to me, and far too hyper and hysterical. I watched one episode and I'd had enough.

When we start looking to this kind of 'entertainment' for something to do in the evenings, we are just as bad as those who were involved in the decadence of ancient Rome!
One of the pigs was quietly sleeping. He had no fear of humans. They fell on him and stabbed him and cruelly killed him while he was sleeping. He trusted them.

This is not entertainment and these people are not survivors. They killed a domesticated animal that trusted them enough to sleep in their presence.Angry

I dislike these shows intensely. It is not the first time they have killed an animal in a brutal and barbaric way.
Catherine

That is just so very sad.
I wonder if the people on the shows ever look back at their behavior and regret it.
If so they could do a lot of good by speaking out and condemning the cruelty to animals.
Catherine