Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Holocaust survivor defends animals
Holocaust survivor, Alex Hershaft, is protesting the way we slaughter animals. He compares it to the Nazi slaughter of Jews. The group Farm Animal Rights Movement (FARM), is staging some powerful protests on that theme.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...495&at=dt0

The whole article is worth reading. It certainly doesn't make us look to good with our factory farming practices. There is a lot to think about.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Yes, I have heard the ongoing daily massive slaughter of animals (raised and killed in appalling and cruel conditions) and the Holocaust compared on previous occasions. Some Jews were upset, but far from all of them. Some of them actually find the comparison very apt. I like this quote from the article you have cited:

"As a Holocaust survivor," he says, "I have found a way to repay my debt to the world. There's a reason why I survived. The way (to pay my debt) is to fight for the animals."

Like button
In my opinion the people who recognise that the mass torture, dire living conditions, imprisonment and (often botched) slaughter methods resemble the way millions of people were treated during the second world war, are those who have real compassion in their hearts.

This observation is not meant to misrepresent what the Jewish people suffered in the holocaust, but is meant to highlight the very real suffering of animals.

And the 'animal holocaust' is happening all over the world, daily.
I think it is a recognition that human beings are capable of terrible things. There are people who will kill anything cruelly and without regard for the suffering they inflict. The Nazis had no trouble finding people to work for them during the Holocaust. We have no trouble finding people to work in slaughter houses, fur farms, seal hunts and any number of other cruel places.

Most people wouldn't actually do the killing, but enough would.

If we do not bring this tendency under control then who is to say there won't be another human holocaust. Bosnia and Rwanda definitely indicate that this is so.

We either become a kinder more enlightened species or we will keep repeating our worst atrocities in some form or another.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine