Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hiker finds pit full of snakes
Some people have all the luck!
This hiker has clearly come across snakes just coming out of hibernation. What are the odds that he would time it so perfectly.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/...es-5712072

I can't imagine why he would be terrified. The snakes actually get nervous and go back into their den. I wonder what kind of snakes they are? They could be Garter Snakes. Either way, the guy is really lucky to have had a chance to see the snakes all together.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Since the man took the video and continued filming - and didn't run - it seems fairly certain that he wasn't terrified at all. It was some video company which put it on YouTube, not the hiker, so may never know the exact details.
Can't say I agree with him shoving the camera in their faces and dens. Those rattles are clearly warning him to back off.
What an amazing thing to witness! But I am with platy on this one. The snakes should have been photographed maybe just once at a decent distance, and then left in peace.
It is good to keep a respectful distance from the snakes. I wonder if he was out there looking for them. I have come across Garter snakes just out from their den sunning themselves. It was a once in a lifetime experience, but I didn't have a camera.
Catherine

Well I almost saw a Grass Snake the other day!....except I was too late...
He had been sunning himself beside a neighbour's pond apparently, and disappeared into long grass. I didn't go looking for him as the grass was very thick and long there and I didn't want to accidentally step on him.

That's about the best we can do in the UK -except for Adders of course, which are pretty rare to see.
You only have Adders and Grass snakes?
We have a lot of snake species in Ontario. We even have a few on the prairies where I grew up.

Because of the cold they have to hibernate in a den that is below the frost line. That is why you can see a tangle of snakes emerging.
Other than that most of the snakes we see are just a flash of movement and they are gone into the grass like your grass snake.

It is not so easy to see a snake anywhere. They are elusive.
Catherine