Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stop dog slaughter in China
10,000 dogs will probably be slaughtered and then eaten in China on 21 June for the annual YuLin 'festival'.

Please help to stop this by signing the petition here:

http://www.ifaw.org/united-kingdom/get-i...dogs-yulin

Let's hope and pray this so-called 'festival' will be stopped. But then what? I hope there will be rescue facilities for those dogs. A number of them may be stolen pets.
I was just reading about this. It is horrible to think of the numbers of dogs that they plan to kill. I understand that many are stolen pets.

I hope the protests and petitions can have an effect.

Why is it whenever we hear about a festival it always seems to involve some horrible loss of animal life. How is that a festival?

This is a link to Humane society International from the 2013 festival. A few dogs were rescued.
http://www.hsi.org/news/news/2013/09/yul...92713.html
This fight against the festival has been going on for a few years now.
This is a 2015 petition.
https://action.hsi.org/ea-action/action?...g.id=press
It sounds like there are people working hard to save as many dogs as they can by intercepting the trucks. There is a lot of work being done to stop the festival.

Some day I hope we will look back and wonder how such things ever took place. For now there is much work to do to stop them.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Dog meat is a delicacy in China, and for many, a tradition. I suppose that realistically, that is no worse than the thousands of Turkeys slaughtered each year in Western countries at Thanksgiving and Christmas, or all the lambs at Easter. And they all pass unnoticed.
We are no better in the West.
But those dogs don't deserve to die, and don't deserve to be caged and treated in the way that they are. It is horrendous.
I hope the petition can get it stopped.
I couldn't sleep much last night for thinking of those dogs. I just wanted to get them all out of there.
(06-04-2015, 06:22 PM)Tobi Wrote: Dog meat is a delicacy in China, and for many, a tradition. I suppose that realistically, that is no worse than the thousands of Turkeys slaughtered each year in Western countries at Thanksgiving and Christmas, or all the lambs at Easter. And they all pass unnoticed.
We are no better in the West.
But those dogs don't deserve to die, and don't deserve to be caged and treated in the way that they are. It is horrendous.
I hope the petition can get it stopped.
I couldn't sleep much last night for thinking of those dogs. I just wanted to get them all out of there.
Yes, Tobi, you are quite right. If we eat turkeys, lambs, etc. (which are also often killed in inhumane ways in abattoirs or otherwise) then we have no right to sound "superior". However, I share your concern about these poor dogs, who will no doubt face painful and horrifying deaths. Live skinning and being cooked alive are the worst practices which go on there - although not in every case. I signed the petition. I also will not sleep well.

Dog slaughter seems distressingly common in China. Even a cull because of a rabies risk was carried out extremely brutally: https://www.change.org/p/a-new-appeal-fo...lang=en-GB Dogs on that occasion were thrown still alive (after clubbing and stoning) into a giant pit and burnt alive. The fear and suffering can hardly be imagined. Dogs in China desperately need our support.
I clicked on the link to the petition about the dog cull, and found it closed! Only 150 people had signed, and the goal was 200. I can't imagine what's gone wrong there. Or maybe there is another bigger petition somewhere? I clicked on the live link below (in blue) and got a 'time out' message!

The way dogs are treated in China is completely heart-breaking. We must try our best to help in whatever way we can from such a distance. I don't want to know....yet I HAVE to know in order to be of any small help at all. I cannot imagine what is going to change the course of things.

With Rabies, it is a simple solution technically, but that is expensive and time-consuming, for a country which has shown that it does not care about dogs. Rounding up the dogs, setting traps, and vaccinating. Spay and neuter would be useful too, but who is going to do that, there?
Yes, the link I gave was to a petition which was closed early for some reason. I knew that already when I posted, but I wanted to cite the evidence given in that petition to illustrate the terrible things done in the rabies campaign.
Yes I understand.
I wonder why it was closed?
I hadn't heard about the dog cull. They pay people to kill the dogs. Why not pay them to vaccinate the dogs. Vaccinating and neutering have proved effective around the world. Culls have proved to be not effective. The numbers of dogs does not decrease. Rabies is better controlled by vaccination.

It is not just that they eat dog. It is the fact that many are stolen pets that is disturbing. All the dogs are mistreated and many will be killed brutally. Cooking an animal alive is a whole different level of horror.

I can't imagine how anyone can do some of the things that they do.
Catherine

I heard of yet another horrifying and shocking act of dog cruelty in Thailand, via the "Soi Dog" newsletter yesterday. This also concerned a dog being prepared for a particular 'dish' in a certain way. It is so shocking and awful it haunted me since, and I don't want to add to things by posting it here. BUT the dog was rescued, and he is making a slow recovery. Hopefuly he will continue to get better thanks to the care he's now receiving.
The GOOD thing is that there has been an animal cruelty law introduced in Thailand, which means that the police now have the power to make sure animal abusers don't get away with abuse crimes, as they did before this law.
So the person who was responsible for that act of cruelty has now been arrested and will face a criminal trial.

We are not powerless. No matter who we are, or which country we live in, if we care, we all have the power to be heard, and in many cases, to bring about change.
Caring and desiring to do something about it is all we need to start with. Changes are happening...sometimes fast, but sometimes slowly. But they are gradually happening.
I noticed that Thailand has animal cruelty laws. I am glad that they are willing to act on them.

We are not powerless. Through the internet, concerned people can have their voices heard. I think we are witnessing social change in action. What was once acceptable now repulses people. It may take years of hard work, but the dog meat trade is going to end.

I am glad the dog you heard about is going to make it. Every dog that is rescued and lives is a testament to the right of dogs to live their lives in peace, free from cruelty.
[I found the Soi dog newsletter and the dog you were talking about. What they did to the dog is cruel, but it is also bizarre and just plain weird. It completely lacks reason. ]
Catherine