Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A dog's last goodbye
You are going to cry. They made a beautiful little movie about a dog who is dying. It is told from the dog's perspective and it tells the story of the life he shared with his human and their final days together.

It is beautiful and sensitive and it really does give us a window into the dog's world and what he is experiencing.
It is under 10 minutes so yes you have time to watch it.

http://www.fastcocreate.com/3047312/watc...-denali#16

I think I shall have to see my pet's passing in a whole new light. How does it feel for a beloved pet to know that it is leaving.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

A very original and sympathetic way to make a film on a solemn topic, and made with a lot of love (the magic ingredient).
I thought it was beautiful. It gives a perspective on pet loss that we don't usually think about.

I love the way they visited all their favourite spots one more time before the end.Heart
Catherine

The video is very touching. It seems to be based on a true story...? That makes it all the more poignant.

I did the same with Misty. Took her to all the best places we had known, during that last 2 weeks, when we had the vet's opinion, but no clear diagnosis, but she had started to slow down slightly. All her most favourite places. And I took her to visit her friend, Jet, on her last day.
It is a true story. The man is a photographer and he has film maker friends. He used pictures of his dog professionally when the dog was younger.
When he realized that Denali was dying he made a video of their life and their end together. It is beautiful I love the picture of him carrying the dog down the mountain. Heart

I am glad you were able to do things with Misty towards the end. Taking her to see Jet would have been closure for them both.

I never get to do that with my pets. Mostly I get to sit and hold them as they pass. It is enough.Heart
Catherine

Denali is such a beautiful name for that dog. It is the sacred name of Mount McKinley.
The special connection he had with Denali is obvious. I hope he will be all right without his dog, and hope he gets visits sometimes from the dog in spirit.

It wasn't really 'closure' for Jet. He was never the same after Misty left, and didn't seem to be able to understand what had happened. If he ever caught the scent of her he would run away home. He lived another 17 months after her, and even though I visited him every day -so he could see some things hadn't changed -he never got back to his 'old self' after that.
There are follow up articles about the video.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/09...47816.html

This tells more of the back story.
http://www.littlethings.com/denali-dog-love-story/

The story has captured peoples hearts and the video has won a film festival award.

I suppose we all can relate to a loss like this.
I feel sad for Jet. He must have missed Misty very much.
Catherine

It is a moving video and might help some people who are facing 'hospice care' for their dog.

My heart goes out to this young man. He must miss his companion very much. Bless them both.
It must be a comfort to know that they had such a good life together.

Few people or animals pack so much into their years together. They shared a life well lived. Who can ask for more.
Catherine