Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Summer reminder for dog owners
The usual reminder returning again -to take care of our dogs in summer heat.

Dogs can't sweat like we do, they can only lose excess heat by panting, and this does not work very well if it's too hot.
Cats can find shady places to lurk when it's hot weather, but dogs are usually at the mercy of whatever their caretaker has in mind for the day!

So here are the reminders again:

*Please don't leave a dog in a car. Even a fairly mild day can cause temperatures to rise quite high inside a car. Cracked-open windows don't help, and neither does leaving a bowl of water. If it's a warm day or even just a little sunny don't take the dog with you if it has to be 'parked' for any amount of time.

*When on dog walks take a plastic bottle of water and a lightweight bowl. In the summer, I used to carry this in a light back-pack. Not too much weight, and the least you can do for a thirsty dog while on a trek, or even after a game at the dog park. Wetting the dog's fur will definitely also help to keep it cool. Wet the belly area and inner thighs also.

*Remember that any wild dog -or most wild animals come to that -will seek shade during the warmest times of day, and rest. The only reason our dog is out panting in the sun with us is because we have brought it there. Don't over-exercise the dog when it is hot and/or very humid.

*Good times for running, frisbee, and brisk walks are very early morning, and during the light evenings. (Unless you live in Lapland or Antarctica! LOL)

Happy Summer, doggies!
I was just thinking that it is that time of year again. We all know that you can't leave a dog in a car, but every year some dogs die from the heat in a locked car.
Could we try and make this the year that no accidents happen. A few simple precautions are all we need to keep our pets safe.

Even with pet reptiles I have to watch the temperatures. I switch my heat lamps to smaller sizes when the temperature gets too hot. I even turn the lights off if it is a dangerously hot day.

Our pets depend on us to protect them. A little common sense could make a life and death difference to a pet. Please keep them safe.
I hate reading about animals that have died from heat stress.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

It is only June and already there are stories of dogs locked in cars. This one ended well for the dog, but for the people involved it is still uncertain.
http://www.wlos.com/news/features/top-st...1520.shtml

It is ridiculous to charge someone for saving a dog and then charge the person who endangered the dog.
Catherine

The Toronto Humane society has joined the fight against dogs dying in hot cars.

The local news paper did a test of how hot a car can get.
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/07/..._oven.html
They were testing a human and it soon became dangerously hot for him. Dogs are less able to withstand the heat.

Surely everyone knows by now how dangerous a hot car is for a dog. So why will some dogs die or come very close because they were left in a car?
Catherine

Oh good. I'm glad the Toronto Humane Society is putting that ad out. It is shocking how we are still hearing of cases of dogs dying or being severely injured in hot cars. It's odd how many people have still not got the message!

It was very brave of Bill to shut himself in that car to demonstate how dangerous it is. He could have made himself very ill! A vet once did a video like that. I wonder how many people just don't listen to them though....?
People still don't listen. He did the experiment in the car because two small children had died.
People act like they have never heard of the problem of dogs dying in cars. Every year dogs die in cars and it is all over the news. How can someone miss all the publicity. They are clearly people who don't pay attention or else they don't think it applies to their dog and their car.

Your car will get hot, but somehow theirs won't? They clearly don't think.

One of the saddest was a chocolate lab whose owner had spent the weekend at a dog festival. She stopped to shop on the way home and left the dog in the car. Her "a few minutes will be okay" was actually a much longer time. People tried to rescue him, but they were too late.
She worked with animals and knew the dangers. I still don't know why she took such a chance. It cost a beautiful dog his life.
Catherine