Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dora Dove laid an egg
Heart 
Dora and Virgil have been very happy together. I have noticed her trying to set up a nest. So sure enough she has an egg and they are determined to hatch it.
[Image: IMG_20150615_123108.jpg]
It is a tiny egg.
[Image: IMG_20150615_123153.jpg]
Here are the two of them in their new cage.
[Image: IMG_20150404_143655329.jpg]
They usually sleep in the upper corner.
However with an egg in the nest, Dora stays on the egg. When she wants to eat, Virgil sits on the egg. I don't know if they can hatch their first egg. They are new parents. If not this egg then I do hope they have success at some point.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Well they must be happy with life generally, to behave like that and lay an egg! I hope this egg hatches and all is well. If not, there will be another time I am sure.
They do seem very settled with each other and with life in general. I don't fuss over them, but I do I make sure they have everything they need. I let them live quietly together. The cage is set up near the computer so I talk to them and they are used to me being around.

I am not sure they incubated the egg right at first. They have the right idea now. If the egg is going to hatch they will be right into raising the chick. It is sweet to see such devotion. I love how he keeps the egg warm while she takes a supper break.
Catherine

The egg has dried out and cracked so it wasn't developing. It was their first effort and they did very well. It is out of the nest so she knows it has failed.

I just got a proper nest for her so I have set it up near the nest she was using. It is bigger and a better shape and it will be more comfortable for her. She is looking at it so I think she will try again and this time it will be better. They have figured out how to sit on the egg and spell each other off so the nest stays warm.

I will keep you posted about Dora's egg laying.
Catherine

Dora has taken to the new nest and she has laid another egg. She is not sitting on it right now, she is spending time with Virgil her mate.
Is that bad for the egg?
I hope this egg makes it. Dora would be so happy to have a chick to care for. Heart
Catherine

Dora  has laid another egg and is trying to hatch it. this time she is using the right nest and she is faithfully sitting on it. I hope she has success this time.
Catherine

It's not unusual for first time parents to have a few failures so my husband the amateur bird expert said.
That makes sense. They don't have bird how to books for birds to read.

I think Dora is showing more sense about her nest and she is sitting on the egg all the time.

Virgil is being really sweet about watching over her.  They are a bonded couple for sure. I just don't know if they bred. There have been noises at night when I am not in the room. Would they breed at night?
Catherine

Not sure if they breed at night or not we've never bred doves we've had pigeons I suppose it's possible.
They could have bred when I was at work. It would be quiet for them. If they didn't then the egg isn't fertile.
I do hope this one is a good egg.
Catherine