Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How often should animals be vaccinated?
An in-depth discussion about pet vaccination, which definitely overturns the idea that a pet should be vaccinated annually with both core and non-core vaccines.

Dr Karen Becker interviews Dr Ronald Schultz from the University of Wisconsin, Madison school of Veterinary Science:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1Xd5ghnlJ4
(53 minutes)

This seems to be a very level-headed and sound approach to a controversial subject.

Annual Rabies vaccination is of course, the law in many states in the U.S. so even if immunity were proven, the vaccine would still be mandatory. But fortunately there is on-going research in this field which might at some future date, cause a change in the law.

But yearly vaccination of both core and non-core vaccines is unnecessary, and Dr Schultz explains why. Yet 60% of U.S. veterinarians still opt for yearly vaccinations! Simply because it is recomended by the manufacturer!
In the UK I hazard a guess that the percentage is even higher. Here, "titer testing" is almost unheard of.

Testing a pet's "titer" (or presence of immunity) yearly, as I did with my own dog - is the safest way to go. This is more expensive than the regular vaccinations, and has to be budgeted for, but is certainly healthier for the animal. However, the cost is not excessive. I used to pay £120 to have Misty titer tested, as opposed to a £48 or so bill. (That is only a guideline, as costs go up year to year.)
I did not know that they could do titer testing. That is a big step forward in veterinary care. You are right, it is better to do testing than to just vaccinate blindly because the manufacturer recommends it. Clearly they have an agenda to sell more vaccine and make more money.
It made sense to err on the side of caution and vaccinate regularly when they had no way of being sure. Now they can know if there is immunity. I am sure the rabies vaccine protocols will change once they start looking at the titers.

(I will have to watch the whole video tomorrow, it is getting late here)

Sadly, most people who skip yearly vaccinations do so because they are being negligent or careless. They are not making a healthy well thought out choice like you did with Misty.

Reptiles don't get vaccinated so I am not as familiar with the issue as I was when I had cats.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine