Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EU embargo on China (animal welfare)
Petition by ESDAW (European Society of Dog and Animal Welfare) Target: The EU Commission and the EU Parliament.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/251/460/1...-on-china/

Quoted from the petition page:

"What right has the EU to represent its population in trade agreements with countries where overall ethics, morality and humanity is missing?

As a trading partner, we fatten China's atrocities - and we want to stop this. The only language PRC and its people are familiar with is financial gain or loss.

Since the 1980s, the industry that exploit animals for profit, been multiplied in PRC - and cruelty towards animals has escalated.

Therefore, we must act through economic sanctions to force countries to establish and maintain ethical principles and rules. We want the EU to develop an ethical economic plan for all trade outside the EU borders."

But let's not blame all the Chinese people! This video shows that animal rights activism in China is gaining more strength:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRKWEzaW6jA
I am not sure if your link connects to this longer video so I will post it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl...KVWfQrut-k

I think there is a whole movement being born and growing in China.
Many people do not want the old ways of animal cruelty. Some of the people are making great sacrifices to help animals.

I don't know if an EU trade ban would be a help. It certainly would put economic pressure on China. I think economic pressure is the only thing that will change the laws. So we should all sign the petition and hope for the future of animal rights in China. It will happen.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I signed. Thanks for finding the petition, Tobi. All it takes is a strong push on the trade issue and China would have little choice other than to introduce animal welfare laws - as many of its young people are themselves demanding.
Thank you Catherine, for that longer video. I had seen most of it, but in 3 separate videos a couple of days ago.

Some of it is very hard to watch, but most of it shines so much hope for the future of animal welfare in China. I also learned of the work of Du Yufeng, from the Guanyuan Bo'ai Animal Protection Centre

I really really hope that the young man, the meat dealer who was manhandling that dog very badly, will one day have an experience which will jolt him out of his lifestyle and beliefs. I hope that one day something will happen to connect him with the love from a dog, and that it won't be wasted on his heart.
Quote:I really really hope that the young man, the meat dealer who was manhandling that dog very badly, will one day have an experience which will jolt him out of his lifestyle and beliefs. I hope that one day something will happen to connect him with the love from a dog, and that it won't be wasted on his heart.

It was hard to watch him. Someday something will happen to change him or else he will wake up one day and find the world has changed and he no longer has a place in it.

No doubt there are other people working for animal welfare in China. We only know about a few of them.

Pressure from the outside and pressure from within should be enough to influence the Chinese government.

I don't think the word tradition works as an excuse for animal cruelty anymore.
Catherine

Quite often when people are on the cusp of change, there is something instinctive which scares them. They sense the change but have nothing new to grasp hold of. They often go backwards even more harshly to cling onto the things they knew before. Until something appears for them which they can accept, which will lead them into the new way. That is what I have noticed anyway. I sense that young man was on the cusp of change but was fighting it for his own reasons.
Maybe he will learn that fixing motor bikes or some other venture is more lucrative? One never knows....
And maybe one day when he is in some desperate fix, a dog will lie down next to him and keep his body warm, and lick his tears away....
Quote:Quite often when people are on the cusp of change, there is something instinctive which scares them. They sense the change but have nothing new to grasp hold of. They often go backwards even more harshly to cling onto the things they knew before. Until something appears for them which they can accept, which will lead them into the new way. That is what I have noticed anyway. I sense that young man was on the cusp of change but was fighting it for his own reasons.
Maybe he will learn that fixing motor bikes or some other venture is more lucrative? One never knows....
And maybe one day when he is in some desperate fix, a dog will lie down next to him and keep his body warm, and lick his tears away....

That is a very good perspective on what is happening in the world. People are clinging to traditions in a desperate way because they are scared of change. You are right, the young man could think ahead and find another career, but instead he clings to his old ways. If nothing else, for health reasons he will not be permitted to continue his killing. His methods are not just cruel, they are also a health hazard.

It is a tribute to the goodness of dogs that even a dog he had planned to kill would help him and try to save his life.

I wonder what will happen next year. There has been so much publicity and people are starting to reject the slaughter festivals.
I think there is a global reaction against such festivals. Every time any protest or petition takes place it is part of a collective will to change and be a kinder more compassionate world. Maybe next year some festivals will not take place or they will be much reduced. I certainly hope so.
Catherine