Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where are the Buzzard Babies?
Every single summer where I live, I have heard the plaintive screeching of young Buzzards as they try out their wings but are still calling to their parents. I have lived here for 31 years. This year -silence.
That sound has always been part of summer here. "A Skriking" I call it (to coin a Yorkshire phrase!) It's never an unpleasant sound but atmospheric as the young Buzzard's calls echo all around.

So it must mean the Buzzards have not bred this year, suddenly. I have seen them flying but just not heard their young.
It's hard to tell yet if that is just a local 'glitch' (but why after 31 years?) Or is it a national trend...?
That is disturbing. Are they just late this year?

I hope it is not a sign that the buzzard population is declining. That would be very sad.

It is funny how something is part of our lives for years, but we really notice it when it isn't there.

I wonder how many other things are not there, but we haven't noticed yet.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I don't know. Later when I have time I will go online and see if there are any other reports about Buzzards in the UK.

This morning I saw two Buzzards being mobbed by crows. At least I think they were crows....they might have been Jackdaws (?) It was hard to tell, as they were very high up. I have seen that many times already this year. I have seen it happen before over the years but more frequently this year.
Crows hate Buzzards. It seems that maybe Buzzards have 'bad karma' with crows, and may attack their nests etc....but I am unsure as I have NEVER seen a Buzzard attack a crow.
The Buzzards never fight back, they just try to get away, but the crows follow them, and swoop on them, pecking.
That might have affected the breeding. Or possibly even killed young ones. I don't know.

I have noticed that the Jackdaw population has done very well this year
I think crows will steal birds eggs. I don't know about Jackdaws.

There is bad feeling between crows/Jackdaws and Buzzards/hawks. I have seen crows fly up and pull the hawks tail while it was in flight.
I am sure it is an old feud.
If the Jackdaws are having a very good year it might be a bad year for buzzards.

I wonder where we could look to find out.
Catherine

Oh, I spoke too soon!
This morning I heard the calls of a young Buzzard. It was good to hear that, so I know they have bred.
They must have just been a bit late this year.
There we have it, everything is just late this year.
Big sigh of relief!

It has been odd weather and it does effect everything. I am so glad your buzzards are alright. You are very in tune with your environment to have noticed the absence of a bird call. I wish them every success in raising their family this year.
Catherine