Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are turtles good pets?
I came across a good article about turtles as pets. They can be amazing, but they can also grow very big and live very long.

If you are considering a turtle as a pet you need to know what kind of turtle you are getting. You need to think about whether you can really meet the turtles needs.

http://www.wexfordpeople.ie/lifestyle/be...03953.html

The guy with the snapping turtle is lucky his pet is so tame. Those turtles are wild in my area and they are very big as adults. They are not really suitable as pets.
I am sure the turtle is illegally in that country. He has done well to keep the turtle alive and healthy.

I love turtles, but for the most part I love to see them in the wild.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

And they smell.
Quote:And they smell.

You need a really good filter system if you have turtles. They release their poop right into the water so the water has to be cleaned very well by the filter.

Turtles need big tanks. Few people have enough room to care for a turtle well.

I can't imagine how the guy is doing with a snapping turtle. They are a fresh water turtle, but they are very big.
Catherine

Whoops....he could lose a finger one day ! LOL! Unless he has an understanding with his turtle (which I am sure he has) Snapping turtles can deliver a heck of a bite so I hear.
I like them. They are neat little(?) things. But I have also heard that they can transmit Salmonella, so anyone who has one must remember to wash hands regularly.
I think the turtle/salmonella issues happens because turtles eat meat/fish and live in the water they eat and poop in. Very few people keep their water as clean as it needs to be.

Snapping turtles can give a serious bite. They get very large.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_snapping_turtle

I have seen a snapping turtle, but I wouldn't touch one and I sure wouldn't want one as a pet.
Catherine