Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Farewell to Eric
Eric is a little rescue bearded dragon. He was badly neglected as a young growing dragon and he developed a twisted spine and deformed legs.
[Image: IMG_0990.JPG]
I took him in and I was able to build up his strength, but sadly the deformities were permanent.
[Image: IMG_1013.JPG]
I always knew he would not have long so I gave him a really good tank setup and he was a really active and happy beardie.
[Image: IMG_0670.JPG]
[Image: IMG_1014.JPG]

This past few weeks I have known he was failing. It was sad to see my spunky little Eric lose weight and energy and generally get worse.

This morning he didn't eat and later he seemed to fall asleep. I have had him with me and some time tonight his heart stopped and he is gone.
He was a cute little dragon and he should have been strong and healthy and lived a long life.Sadsmiley
I am going to miss him. He usually watches me as I type on the computer.
Farewell little Eric, I am glad you spent some time with me.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Oh dear sweet little Eric...I think he had a lovely life on Earth with your care and love surrounding him, and all the creatures in your home for company. Go well little man, in Spirit.

This is most strange, and I wouldn't think of mentioning it except for the passing of dear Eric.
But a few weeks ago I woke with the strangest dream. I had only been asleep about 10 minutes. I turned my head on the pillow and felt a hard lump. I opened my eyes, and saw a bearded dragon on my pillow, nuzzling against my face. It made me laugh, but the dream was very vivid. I wonder if it was Eric, letting us know he was getting ready to leave his body....?
Eric really was a sweet beardie and I am glad I rescued him. His tank looks so empty right now. I keep expecting to see him.

I wonder if it was Eric's brother George in your dream, telling us that he is waiting for Eric. They were rescued together. George was unconscious and I brought him around with liquid calcium. He was a little character, but very stunted in his growth. He only lived three months, but I babied him and made him feel special for those three months. Eric was stronger so he lived almost two years longer.

George was half the size of a normal bearded dragon and even more deformed in his body.

I do hope the two of them can run free as healthy happy beardies.
Catherine

Both of them couldn't have hoped for a better caretaker. You gave them the very best of your love and care.

Run free, George and Eric!
That's true. Both George and Eric would have had the most lovely life with you. You didn't mind that they weren't perfect, you loved them, and gave them a lot longer to live than they might have had in another place, and I am sure they both knew that.
Thank-you both. I take in the damaged reptiles that have been dumped by the people who damaged them because I see their beauty, who they are inside. It is okay that their bodies are not quite right. They have big hearts and wonderful personalities.

I have had a number of beardies, but I have never had an undamaged one. Eric and George were special. I keep looking at his tank to see if he is okay. It is a hard habit to break. I feel like he is still there, but hiding behind his log.

I still have Henry and he is still half paralyzed. No doubt there are other beardies out there that will need me. For now I am missing Eric. He was a lot of fun.
Catherine