Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guinea Pig update. NOW WITH PHOTOS!!
It's been quite a while since I was last here. Family stuff and a new computer have all conspired to preoccupy me!! But maybe now things are returning to something like normal.

During the last few months we have had some foster piggies and acquired a new resident.
Two fabulous little girlies came to stay. They were supposedly 6 weeks old but their weights and sizes indicated no more than 2 or 3 weeks. They were tiny and terrified when they arrived, but very soon settled in and Anna worked her magic on them and by the time they left, about 7 weeks later, they were up to an appropriate weight and were lively, demanding piggies who would happily sleep on your lap and run zoomies around the pen for hours!!
They were very quickly rehomed to live with a neutered boar called Luigi.

A week or so later we took on a new resident. A seven year old sow called Goldie. Her family, with whom she had lived for all her life, suddenly decided that she was "Too inconvenient"!!
She is a golden agouti and very skinny, but this is due to her age and the fact that she is declining. She is a darling of a piggy and lived for just 2 days in a partition off the big pen. She was desperate to join the others and they were interested in her. So the partition was removed and Goldie moved in with the herd. It's as if she has always been there. She and Marigold share beds and snuggle up together in the hay pile. Marigold is about the same age, we think, and also has "Shrinking pig" syndrome!! but is still full of life, but finding the warm weather irritating.
Both girls eat very well but cannot retain the weight, but this is something we have seen lots of times with elder pigs.
Cecil is delighted to have another wife and indeed Goldie seems to relish his attentions. Ruby also enjoys her company, and it is Goldie that sets off the wheeking at meal times!
We know she had a cage mate at some point during her life, but I think she lived most of her life alone. When she came from the rescue she was depressed and sedentary and looked like she had only a few days left, but since she arrived she has a new lease on life and seem energised and full of life.
She is very personable and seeks out both piggy and human attention. I think it is very sad that her "People" didn't feel able to keep her, but I'm very glad she came to us and can live whatever time she has left in a herd that really like her and with people who love her.
There will be pictures once I have work out how on this new computer!!
Greeting from Wales.
Hwyl Fawr o'r Cymru.
This is the web site of the rescue I volunteer at.
http://guinearescue.blogspot.co.uk/
I am so glad to hear from you. I knew you were busy with all the things that have happened lately, but we missed you.

I understand about the new computer thing. I was so stressed when I had to get a new computer. I am thinking of getting a laptop as a second computer so I will always have one that I know how to use.

Good going on the fostering. The two little girls will have a wonderful life because you gave them such a good start in life.

Poor Goldie.Smiley19
How can people do that to such an old girl. All those years she was a good pet to them and still they don't care. Seven! Wow, she is one special piggie. She would have died in a regular shelter. Guinea pigs just quit sometimes. You have given her a reason to live. I am so happy she has found a family with your piggies. This is perfect for Marigold, she has someone her own age. It seems unreal that Marigold is seven. It seems like just yesterday that you took her in.

I have seen the shrinking pig syndrome. Lily and Rosie were shrinking pigs when I got them. Lily lasted for years longer.
I think my little Flora is starting to shrink. I do not know how old she is, but she is looking older this summer. Rosebert and Norbert are turning six, but they both look good.

Guinea pigs really are a social animal aren't they. They can live or die depending on their social interactions. A good herd like yours will give an old girl like Goldie a reason to live. Cecil must be the happiest boar ever. I can't wait to see pictures.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

So, Hopefully, here are some photos of the group.

This is Marigold and Goldie sharing a cardboard box. Neither of the other two piggies are allowed to share with Marigold. Goldie is the only one allowed!!
[Image: 21176224262_9343a9d3c3_c.jpg]IMG_0565 by Gillian Clancy, on Flickr

Cecil is delighted to have a new wife and spends as much time with her as he can. He now has 3 wives!!
[Image: 21194400191_59859a64ea_c.jpg]IMG_0552 by Gillian Clancy, on Flickr

Ruby is enjoying having a new friend too. They often sleep like this, nose to nose!

[Image: 21160329916_5ffb422da6_c.jpg]IMG_0546 by Gillian Clancy, on Flickr

So, as you can see, Goldie has fitted right in without any fuss and bother.

Just one more photo. This one is of Ruby, fast asleep on Anna. Just like our previous piggies she knows how to relax and make the most of her people time!!
[Image: 20998457410_0a687ab5fa_c.jpg]IMG_0545 by Gillian Clancy, on Flickr
Greeting from Wales.
Hwyl Fawr o'r Cymru.
What a beautiful herd of piggies you have.
Cecil must be so happy.
I love the dynamics between them. Marigold is in charge of the box and the other piggies respect her wishes. The girls sleeping together look so happy and contented in each other's company. Guinea pigs just love other guinea pigs. When you bond them carefully like you do they settle in as a family.

Goldie is a lovely looking little girl. I still like the smooth coated ones and agouti colouring is always attractive.
Cecil is magnificent. His colour, his size and the wonderful shine to his coat, he is a handsome lad.
As always Marigold is a treasure to see. She has always been a sweetie. Ruby is looking good and she is so contented. Mine are always to fidgety to sit on my lap for long.

You have a fine herd of piggies. I love them all.Heart
Catherine

What a lovely Guinea Pig family, Cibach! They are all beautiful.
It's nice to see you back again.
Thank you both. They are a happy bunch!! At the moment they are busy checking out the fresh hay, after demolishing a huge pile of salad.
They are all very well just now, although Marigold and Goldie are boney and Cecil and Ruby are fat!!
I put out lots of food so that the old girls can keep their tummies full and the younger two are taking full advantage!! When it's just Ruby and Cecil left I think they will be going on a diet!
As for Marigold's age, It's five years ago this October that the big Farm rescue took place and she was a pregnant adult who had clearly given birth at least once before so we think she must be at least six to six and a half. We always thought of her as being the same age as Annie and Ethel.
It always gives me a great deal of pleasure to home or foster an elderly piggy, or one that nobody else seems to want, as they deserve a good home just as much as the cute youngsters, so Goldie was a very welcome addition, indeed, as soon as I saw her I said that she was welcome to live with us. Suzy wasn't at all certain that she would last the quarantine time, but she has sprung to life with the herd.
Greeting from Wales.
Hwyl Fawr o'r Cymru.
Good to see you back! Delightful piggies!
There is life in the old guinea pigs, they just need to feel wanted. Marigold has thrived because you made her feel safe and loved.
No matter how much time Goldie has left she can be well and happy because you have surrounded her by piggie and human love.

The farm rescue was really something wasn't it. That was courageous of Suzy to take in so many piggies at once. They all found homes didn't they. They would all be senior piggies now. Even the babies would be senior piggies. No guinea pig is ever unwanted. They are just not wanted by the people who dump them. If only they would be responsible and leave them at a shelter. That seems like just yesterday.

It is funny to think of Marigold as your senior pig when I remember her as your new addition. She has been a treasure hasn't she.
Catherine

Marigold is a treasure. When I think of the frightened new mum that first came to live with us, and then look at her now, I marvel at how relaxed and at home she is.
Last night I dozed off to sleep in my usual chair beside the pen. My arm was up against the mesh. I was woken up at supper time by Marigold gently nibbling my arm. She was very patient, but persistent!!
She has become a very self possessed little creature, knowing her place in the social order (most definitely at the top!!) and feeling able to give me instructions when she thinks it necessary.

Goldie has slotted right in, and she and Marigold are firm friends. they sleep overnight in whichever spot takes their fancy, and Goldie likes Marigold to be there when she eats. Just a couple of days ago I brought in the breakfast and both Marigold and Goldie were asleep in a box. It was unusual that they didn't wake when I came in and I was a little aprehensive in case they had both gone. Goldie eventually woke up, came to see what was what, and then went back to wake Marigold. She wheeked and wheeked until Marigold woke up and then they both enjoyed their leaves together!!
Goldie also naps during the day with Ruby and Cecil too, but overnight it is always Marigold.

I have said it before but I think it bears repeating. I feel our lives would be the poorer without the piggies and I, personally, have benefitted from their cheerful presence during this year.
Our pets fill a hole that maybe we were unaware of before we had them.
Greeting from Wales.
Hwyl Fawr o'r Cymru.
Look at all the sunshine that came into my life when Pigbert joined me. I have had guinea pigs continuously since then. I can't imagine life without them. They have also taught me to eat lots of veggies. So they even look after my health.Heart

Marigold has really blossomed. She was like a little rosebud that opened up into a beautiful rose. I love the fact that she has given companionship to Goldie. Goldie now feels loved and appreciated again. Who knows how much time she has, but I do know that it will be happy time.

Guinea pigs are wonderful creatures. They are mellow and create an air of happy peacefulness. I think you and I have both been blessed in our guinea pigs. They have all been wonderful little characters and they make us smile and even make us laugh.
They can't do the things for us that a dog does, but they have their special gifts.
Catherine