Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Police treat a dog in a hot car as an emergency
I read this story and it was clear that police are treating a dog in a car as an emergency. They turn up quickly and they act quickly.
Also the malls are sending security guards to check cars. People who park at malls and else where are watching for dogs locked in cars.
There have been way to many animals killed in cars on hot days. People want it to stop.

http://www.durhamregion.com/community-st...ght-thing/

For one little French Bulldog it did stop, in time to save her life.

If people won't learn then the rest of us have to watch them.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Brilliant response from that police officer, and most likely did save the dog's life.
I am very glad to hear that the police encourage people to phone 911 and treat it as an emergency if they see a dog locked in a hot car. It is also good to hear security guards were checking cars entering the parking area to see if pets were inside! High five for them!

It is still surprising that some people are not fully aware of the danger though. And according to one comment -it was okay because the windows were open a little. Cracked windows, or even windows open a couple of inches or so are no help at all considering the temperature inside a car on a 24C day can reach 48C!
People are not getting the message about dogs in hot cars. So many dogs are not as lucky as the little bull dog.
We are all treating it as an emergency. We see a dog we react. It is just good to hear the police say they want us to call and know that they will come right away.
Catherine

I honestly don't know if it is the same approach in the UK. A number of times I have found a dog in a car in a store car park on a hot day, taken the registration, gone to the Customer Service desk and they have put a message out on the tannoy. The car owner has shown up wondering what the heck I'm fussing about. They were "only in there for 5 minutes!"
Definitely a way to annoy people, but help dogs.

The weather is very changeable in the UK. One minute it can be a sunny day, the next minute cool and raining. And vice-versa. So I am concerned that UK citizens might not take enough care. But the RSPCA do often put notices up in car parking areas. I also patrol (hate doing that, as I know I look suspicious) But it would be worth it to help a dog. I pretend I am waiting for someone.....
Once a man came up to me and asked me if I had forgotten where I had parked my car! I didn't say much -just that I was waiting and got bored so went for a walk round....yada yada.....

I have never yet dialed 999 about a dog. I hope I never have to put that to the test.
I think people just refuse to recognize the danger. They assume if they want to leave a dog it is alright. If the suns comes out the temperature can climb suddenly. Also I think cars are much hotter than people realize. People leave their babies as well.

So, they must think that all other cars get hot, but their car is somehow special and not affected by the reality of a hot day. People don't think.

I suppose we could pour something over the car to cool it off. White paint would reflect the heat. I am sure if a few people did that to cars people might not want to risk leaving a dog in the car.
Catherine