Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
10 years since Katrina and a new climate for animal rights
There is no doubt that even after ten years we all still feel the trauma of knowing that animals were abandoned to the storm often with lethal consequences.
Never again! Such an effort was made to save animals after the fact and people were so upset by their loses, that Katrina animal abandonment could never happen again. There have been laws and programs put in place to prevent this ever happening again.

http://www.mnn.com/family/pets/stories/w...ets-rights

The rest of the world has been watching and I doubt people anywhere would be willing to leave their pets.
I think an event on the magnitude of Katrina has been a wakeup call on many levels. As a pet owner I have thought about how to evacuate my pets. I am prepared to weather a blackout. City disaster plans take into account the needs of pet owners.
As sad as the loss of life was, it has not been in vain. As long as we keep alive the memory of what was lost to Katrina we can prevent animals and their owners from ever facing such a horrible situation.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Well said Catherine! This is very good news. Katrina was a horrible situation for both people and animals.
I think the trauma of Katrina is still with us. Many of us had to ask what would we do in similar circumstances. It is impossible to answer unless you have been there. At least it has people planning for their pets in the event of a disaster.

I love the changes in the law. If a major country like the USA can make changes then so can the rest of us.
Catherine

I have often considered what we would do if we need to get out quickly.
We have a plan in place, as I for one could never leave the piggies behind.
Just by the door to the hall, where the front door is, under the end of the pen, is where the carriers live. To exit the front door we have to pass the bags of hay and shavings which are stored in the front room.
Under the pen I have a large plastic box of shavings which would do in a hurry, just pull it out and pop the piggies in. It is large enough for 8 but we only have 4. It can be carried by one person, although 2 would be easier.
The food is not so handy, but if they had hay they would be ok.
Suzy at the rescue has already said that in any emergency she would take the piggies for as long as we need.
Not that I'm paranoid or anything!!
We have solid fuel heating, which when managed correctly is fine, but does carry a slightly higher risk of fire.
There is no mains gas where we are and the gas tanks in the garden carry a higher risk of fire, so we're content with what we have.
I've lived here for 26 years without incident, but like to be prepared.
Greeting from Wales.
Hwyl Fawr o'r Cymru.
This is the web site of the rescue I volunteer at.
http://guinearescue.blogspot.co.uk/
It is always good to have thought out what to do in an emergency.
It sounds like you have a plan.
Fire would be a disaster for me, but I have pillow cases to put animals in. It would even work for the piggies, but the carriers would be better.

My biggest danger is a power outage in the winter. I have worked out a way to keep warm using hot water. If I fill enough small plastic bottles with very hot water, I can heat a small area. Using blankets and tents I can create a small area. As long as I can keep the animals above a certain temperature they will be fine.
Evacuation is harder, but I have a bin like yours and all the piggies would fit in it.

I think we are prepared enough to adapt to whatever emergency we might face. During the winter blackout in 2009 many people just went to work and left their pets in the cold. Some died, particularly reptiles. Lots of plumbing froze.

I think you and I are safe from hurricanes and floods, but theoretically a tornado could reach here. I doubt it, but I know to take cover and I know how to shut off gas, water and electricity for safety reasons.

I think we are as ready as we can be.
Catherine