Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I have lost baby Shiloh (By Catherine)
(N.B. I accidentally deleted this thread which Catherine made for dear little Shiloh who passed away. So I have tried to restore it as best I can. I cannot restore the whole web page but have put Catherine's post back and all the comments. My deepest apologies, Catherine and Shiloh.)
Tobi. Heart

I have lost baby Shiloh
I have lost my dear little Shiloh.Smiley19
Shiloh is the little Western Hognose Snake that was born on my birthday in 2011.
[img][Image: Shiloh_1.jpg] windows screenshot[/img]
He was so tiny I had to hand feed him fragments of food for months before he could actually take a full meal.
[img][Image: Shiloh_2.jpg] image sharing sites[/img]

I thought he didn't look quite right this morning. When I came home tonight he was dead. It was such a shock.

We did check and it was really strange. It seems that the major blood vessel leading to the heart tore or ruptured. He bled out internally
There was nothing that could have been done to save him after the bleeding started. There was no way to predict an injury/occurrence like that. It is very rare. He was only 3 1/2 years old. He should have had many more years.
[img][Image: Shiloh_3_Pembina.jpg] image hosting over 5mb[/img]
This is Shiloh and his mate Pembina. He is the lighter one. I think she is pregnant. I am hoping that there will be children from Shiloh. It doesn't bring him back, but it would be a piece of him still with me.

I spent so many hours with him just to pull him through as a baby. It just doesn't seem possible that he is gone.Sadsmiley
[img][Image: Catherine_s_signature.jpg] screenshot software[/img]
Catherine

Tobi's reply:
RE: I have lost baby Shiloh
Dear little Shiloh HeartHeart
I am so sorry Catherine. His passing has come as a shock to you as well, which makes it worse. You couldn't have known there was anything wrong with him prior to this. Things like this happen very suddenly.

Blessings to dear Shiloh. And a kind 'hug' for you.

I hope there are babies to come....

LPC's reply:
I'm very sorry to read your news, Catherine. Slither free on the astral, dear Shiloh!

Something tells me Pembina will bring you some joy soon to relieve the pain you feel at the passing of Shiloh....
Do animals have souls?

Libby's reply:
poor Shiloh. he must have had some sort of birth defect from him being so small. I hope you do get babies from his mate. Like you said it doesn't bring him back but in a way he lives on though his offspring.

Catherine's reply:
Thank-you everyone. It still seems so unreal. I feel bad for his mate. She knows he is gone. When I took him out of the tank she went to the spot where he died and stayed there for the rest of the day.

He was such a happy little snake. I guess all my work to pull him through gave him a happy life, it just couldn't give him a long life.

You are right Libby, there was probably a flaw in his heart from his being so small(in effect he was premature since they hatch when they run out of yolk)

I am watching Pembina very carefully. She needs a little TLC and if there are eggs I do not want to lose them. I might do a tank make over to make things different for her.

Shiloh and I did have fun. He spent most of his life on my kitchen table so we took all our meals together although we did eat different food. He was like a spring crocus. They are such a pretty flower and they bring much joy, but they last for such a short time.
Catherine

Cibach's reply:
How sad that Shiloh has gone. There are things that no amount of care can prevent and we just have to accept it. I do hope there are babies and that Pembina is ok.
Greeting from Wales.
Hwyl Fawr o'r Cymru.
This is the web site of the rescue I volunteer at.
http://guinearescue.blogspot.co.uk/

Catherine's reply:
You are right, there was nothing I could have done and I would still have worked to raise him even if I had known he wouldn't live long.

Pembina seems a little lost without him. She is about to shed so I won't move her now. When they are shedding they can't see very well. I plan to try and bond her with her litter mate, Dennis and his mate Cayanne. If that doesn't work I have a tiny hognose called Sarah. I think she is female, but they could be company for each other. She is small though so I might not risk it. I could get another male. Whatever I do I will provide for her needs.

If she is pregnant hatching the eggs will be important and I would keep at least one of the babies. I get ahead of myself because we all know you shouldn't count your eggs before they hatch.
Catherine
Thank-you so much for putting this post back up. You have done a beautiful job. It reminds me all over again of Shiloh and what fun I had to raise him. It was a sad loss, but it was worth it for the memories I have of time spent with him.
In the end Pembina was not pregnant, but she is comfortable living with her brother and his mate. They are all still quite young and they are company for her.

I couldn't bear to keep Shiloh's tank. I traded it for a tank that is completely different. We Shiloh's tank as a display tank at the reptile centre and that is a good thing.

I miss the little guy, but he was comfortable and happy until those last fatal moments. I couldn't ask for a better life for him. He was like a falling star, a bright flame across the sky, so beautiful, but gone in a moment. He was my little star and he shone brightly indeed.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine