Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Homeless people struggle to keep pets
Having pets is so much a part of people's lives that they will hang on to them even if the become homeless. Sometimes people end up homeless because of their pets. Either way, the pets are the thing that gives their lives meaning and keeps then going.

We need to rethink how we help homeless and at risk people so that they are not forced with refusing much needed help if they are going to keep their pets.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0

One thing that is clear, homeless people give their pets the best of care, according to their means. Their pets give them the only real affection they have in their lives and they give them incentive to their best.

I am glad their are vets who are willing to help.
Now I wish someone would step forward and offer this couple a place to live. They don't need a palace, they just need a warm place where they can live safely with their beloved dogs.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

There should be more rental accommodation which allows pets. It is incredibly difficult, not only in the US and Canada, but also in the UK to find low-cost rentals which allow animals. It is possible to find that at the more expensive end of the property rentals though!
Surely something can be worked out....monthly/two-weekly inspections by the landlord? A 'damage' clause on the contract? People who love their animal companions would rather have those things, than no pet friendly apartments available!
Part of the problem is the lack of low cost rental units in the first place. It is hard for anyone to find a place. It is almost impossible for pet owners. I don't know what can be done to help.

It is currently a Landlord's market. There are more tenants than places for them to live.

In time it will swing back and there will be too many empty apartments and Landlords will be willing to do anything to get tenants. It swings back and forth.

Right now it is a desperate time for poor people and homeless people with pets. Their options are few and they have the most need of the unconditional love of a pet. It is a sad situation.
Catherine

In the UK there is another problem. Many landlords will refuse anyone on benefits. I have looked at advertisements for even the simplest accommodation....and the general rule is "No pets, no smoking, no DHSS" (Department of Health and Socal Security.)
I can never quite understand that (of course I can understand the smoking rule) but not the 'benefits' one. Once the housing benefit is set up, the cheque comes regularly to the landlord. Payment is assured; usually by bank transfer either weekly or monthly. Of course, problems CAN occur...such as the benefit being cut off for some reason, or short-term 'hitches' such as a change of benefit from -say Invalidity, to working tax credits....etc. But it usually gets sorted out and back-pay given.
However, on average, it usually works out as payment by clockwork.
In my opinion, those possible negativities are equal to other possible delays in payment which could happen with even a working tenant.

Many people who are on the cusp of being homeless, or who have just managed to scratch their way up from being homeless, are receiving benefits of one kind or another, and probably qualify for housing benefit.
But if landlords won't accept that -then what?

I honestly think we could do with a dose of empathy from property owners. Of course, they don't want their property trashed, or have to wait months for rent payments. But if they could just give a little.....? Strict rules on the terms of the contract, and a little less laziness on the part of the landlords (i.e. being willing to make regular inspections etc) plus a willingness to have a little patience with the housing officers -would all help. The housing officers are not monsters.
Right now I think housing is a serious issue in many parts of the world. Since Landlords can pick and choose their tenants, it is easy to exclude some groups of people.

A pet owner on benefits would find it impossible to get housing. I think governments need to intervene so that housing becomes available to all. Every study shows that pets benefit us. Housing is a right and housing with a beloved companion is absolutely a right.

We need someone to invest in basic low cost housing so we can properly house people. Instead they keep building monster homes for people with way too much money.

I hope the Calgary couple get offers now that there story has been made public.
Catherine

(09-16-2015, 02:09 PM)Catherine Wrote: housing with a beloved companion is absolutely a right.

Yes, it is. Of course there are some people who have a whole pack of badly-trained dogs, and 'indoor' cats who do not aim at the litterbox very well....etc. And there are some people who do not respect their own living-space, much less someone else's property.

Some peoples' idea of 'hygiene' is also a bit lacking on occasion. But regular 'maintenance inspections' by the landlord could help, especially if it was stated in the contract that the apartment was to be kept to a certain standard or they could lose their home.

But I happen to think cases like that are rarer than some landlords imagine. Most people with companion animals just want a place to live, and a bit of peace, with a bed and somewhere to cook.
The way to keep people from wrecking a place is to have a security deposit. If they do damage, they do not get it back when they move.

There is low cost city owned housing in Toronto. It is in such a mess that no pet could make it worse. I think some building as so bad, the streets are cleaner.

Housing is a right. Safe clean housing for people to live with dignity, is a right.
Pet owners having trouble finding a home just shows us how bad the problem is.

I don't like the idea of landlord inspections. That could be a real invasion of privacy. Home is the place where you can close the door and just relax. If you have regular landlord inspections you never really relax.
Catherine