Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wolf Cull for five more years
Sad 
It has been heartbreaking knowing they are killing so many wolves in British Colombia. Now it seems they have decided that the cull must go on for five more years.
This cull is supposed to save the Mountain Caribou. However the Caribou are in trouble because of human activity. Killing every single wolf in the country won't change that. So unless we act to save the caribou habitat, the caribou are doomed. Because we don't want to change our behavior and accept that things are our fault then the wolves are doomed.Smiley19

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-co...-1.2952556

I don't know if the protestors can do anything to stop this madness, but I am glad they are trying.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-co...-1.3236655

Why do people make such bad decisions. It is good that they want to save the caribou, but they are choosing the worst possible way to do it and the way that is least likely to be successful.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

My opinion about things like this doesn't change.
If there were no more humans on this planet, Nature would balance things very well thank you. There would never be too many Caribou, or too many wolves.....

The wolves are possibly scapegoats because something that ought to be done isn't being done as it may inconvenience humans, or even worse -cost money to implement.
Quote:The wolves are possibly scapegoats because something that ought to be done isn't being done as it may inconvenience humans, or even worse -cost money to implement.

A simple thing like banning snow mobiles from some areas would help. The wolves follow the tracks up the mountain to the caribou habitat. Without the tracks they couldn't get up there.

We humans have destroyed the caribou habitat. We are the reason that they are almost gone. Killing the wolves lets people think that they are doing something. They can pretend that it is really the wolves fault. Deep down inside many people still fear and hate wolves. They do not understand the role of apex predators in keeping things healthy.

They need to study the role of wolves in the recovery of Yellowstone National Park. They wolves have helped the actual rivers to recover.
I wonder what will happen to the environment in the areas where the wolves have been killed. Nature will be further out of balance.
Catherine

I almost mentioned Yellowstone....that has been an educative experience.

Yes no matter what people think, deep down they will always somehow fear wolves. "What if the WOLVES started to take over??" has to be a primal thought in some peoples' minds.
Now when was it that wolves started to get a bad rap?
Most likely sometime when humans invaded their habitat, and wolves preyed on their livestock because their other sources of prey couldn't survive....
And of course -the old horror-film archetype of wolves eating people.

Wolves will definitely attack and kill domestic pets who wander onto their territory, or if they are forced into coming near settlements and towns. With dogs, they either see them as rivals, or if very tiny dogs, as prey. Cats they would definitely see as prey. But looked at through a wolf's eyes -that is quite natural. What should be done is to allow the wolves their own habitat without damage or interference by humans. Then they wouldn't be forced too close to human habitats. They would much rather keep away.
I think the fear of wolves is like the fear of snakes. It is learned, but it is also very deeply ingrained in our psyche. People fear wolves or snakes who have never seen or had any contact with snakes or wolves.

Our encounters with wolves are negative when we encroach on their territories. As usual it is our fault, but we blame the wolves.

We have close bonds with dogs. Wolves are really very close to dogs. So why don't we love wolves. Wolves are willing to have relationships with people, but very few people are willing to have a relationship with a wolf. I don't understand that.

I wish more people would pay attention to what happened in Yellowstone. Wolves actually restored the natural habitat. If they worked with the BC wolves maybe they could have a good result. As it is we will end up losing the caribou and the habitat will be destroyed as well. We need those wolves, but by the time they understand it, it will be too late for many of them.
Catherine