Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help stop the illegal, cruel killing of countless songbirds in France
Hunting the ortolan bunting has been banned in France since 1979. It has also been a protected species since 1999. However, illegal trapping has continued. They are also cruelly treated during the trapping stage and after fattening are drowned in Armagnac. They are finally eaten whole. To read more about this appalling illegal practice, see http://www.connexionfrance.com/ortolan-b...ticle.html

You can help by signing the petition (in English) at https://secure.avaaz.org/en/petition/Met..._familiers
This is terrible. I don't think I realized that people actually still eat song birds. I certainly had no idea there was so much cruelty involved.

I couldn't get your link to the petition to work so I have reposted it. It might be a glitch at my end, but we do want people to be able to sign. I have posted it on facebook as well.
https://secure.avaaz.org/en/petition/Met...s/?nJYhBdb

I am stunned to think that people would want a food experience that comes a such a high price. How could anyone want to eat something that is mistreated and worse is being driven to extinction by hunting.

There is something seriously wrong when food becomes an end in itself. We eat so we can live. We eat together because it bonds us.

Eating these little birds distorts both. I think it is a sign of a seriously disordered mind. The person is so turned in on themselves that an eating experience controls them. It shows a lack of integrity in the people who eat the birds and in the people who sell the birds. I wish the chefs would refuse to cook them. Is there a chefs association we can petition?
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Thank you for signing, Catherine.
I have signed. It is so unnecessary to kill these birds for food. Their population is declining anyway thanks to other things humans do -we don't need to hunt them for food!
I agree with every word you said Catherine.
I think as a species we need to really rethink our whole philosophy of food. There are things that it is unethical to eat. There are ways of preparing foods that should not ever happen. Nothing tastes so good that it is worth selling out your integrity.

I am assuming that people have integrity. I know this is not always true. The actions of people around the world make that clear. We need to awaken something in people so that they can have values. Until we do, we will be working against things like the senseless killing of songbirds. I wish I knew what it would take to wake people up to reality.
Catherine

It is very hard. Even decent people can have a mind-block when it comes to cruelty involved in their food. And many eat certain things because of 'traditions'. Those are not basically cruel people. They can be people with lots of love for their family, their children, their pets....and even wildlife!
But sometimes there is a lack of communication between different areas of their thinking. Like huge blind spots. Education -putting the message out there- can help a lot.
You are right, there are blind spots. Once you call something a tradition, we stop thinking about it. We stop seeing what it really is.
If that tradition involves animal cruelty they we need to wake up and see it for what it is.
Education is the key. It works best on children, but it is never too late to open someone's eyes.

That fancy meal that people will pay so much for was once a beautiful little songbird, full of life and joy. And now it is a dead morsel that will be thoughtlessly consumed and forgotten. If only people could be made to know this truth.
Catherine

(09-28-2015, 02:53 PM)Catherine Wrote: That fancy meal that people will pay so much for was once a beautiful little songbird, full of life and joy. And now it is a dead morsel that will be thoughtlessly consumed and forgotten. If only people could be made to know this truth.
Indeed!
We need to awaken people's food consciences. What we eat and where it comes from and how it was treated does matter. I don't think we can knowingly eat the product of cruelty without it having a negative effect on us. "We are what we eat" I think there is truth in that saying.
Catherine