Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cloning your dog.
Cloning is now possible and for a mere $100,000 it can be done.

A family with a beloved dog had him cloned twice.

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots...re-100-000

That is $200,000! That is a lot of money for two dogs.
I never even thought about the issue of the other dogs involved in the procedure. I am sure they are treated well....as long as they are useful.
Once their usefulness ends, I suspect they end!

Cloning can be done, but I have to wonder if there are good reasons to do it. It certainly doesn't give you your pet back. The dog might look the same, but it is a different dog. Identical twins are still two separate people with different personalities.
Is it fair to the cloned dog. It could never live up to expectations. It never gets to be its own dog, it is always being compared to the dog it was cloned from.

Really that much money could help save a lot of dogs in trouble in any part of the world. Wouldn't it honour the memory of a beloved pet more to do something good in its name?
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

(10-04-2015, 03:55 AM)Catherine Wrote: It certainly doesn't give you your pet back. The dog might look the same, but it is a different dog. Identical twins are still two separate people with different personalities.
You are so right! Having identical DNA does not create an exact replica. In the article you cite, the dogs do not look exactly alike: the white on the nose goes further on the dog on the right. I'm sure that their characters are not identical, either.

(10-04-2015, 03:55 AM)Catherine Wrote: Really that much money could help save a lot of dogs in trouble in any part of the world. Wouldn't it honour the memory of a beloved pet more to do something good in its name?
Absolutely. Such a large sum of money could be used to do so much good for lots of animals. Some people may say, "It's their money, to spend as they wish". True, but that doesn't mean that their decision is the right one. As you say, doing good to lots of dogs would be a much better use of their money.
I wouldn't have wanted Misty cloned because she has a distinct character, and it is that which I love. Her appearance was part of it, yes, but it was embodied by MISTY.
So it would have made me feel strange to have a dog who looked like Misty but had a whole different character. It would have been surreal!
That's like having a mother who looks like your mother but who is a completely different personality. Overload for my brain! It's like something you'd dream about after too much to eat!

But having one of Misty's pups would have been an easier concept.
I could see wanting a pup from a much loved pet, but a clone is a physical replica, it is not a replacement.

You are right, Misty was a special unique being. Her spirit was bigger than her DNA and physical body. Cloning could only give you the outward appearance, It could not give you the real Misty.

I think having money is a responsibility. If you are fortunate enough to be well off, I don't think it is right to spend it foolishly. They spent $200,000. They could have bought another shelter dog and used the money to spay and neuter or vaccinate or provide medical care for many animals where ever they wanted to.

The other dogs used in the cloning procedure will be kept well as long as they are useful. So after bearing puppy after puppy that is not her own, a poor tired female will simply be disposed of. The other dogs used for this will fare no better. I wouldn't want to be a part of it.
Catherine

Is this for real????
I love my girl Payne more than anyone could know.
I will admit there are those times when I wish she will live with us as long as we live. An unrealistic thought, I know, but as much as I love her I would never, ever contemplate for one second having her cloned.
When she is gone, she will take her spirit with her and no dog, no matter how much she looks like her, will be my dear sweet Payne.
[Image: m0223.gif] Come join the fun! [Image: m0218.gif]
mypetsonparade.com
Yes I feel like you do, Animal Family. And through that shared love, their Souls never do completely leave us. It's only a short step and a jump from their world to ours, and love is the bridge.

You are right Catherine. I would much rather donate that $200,000 to my local animal rescue, plus a charity like Soi Dog.

But the people who spend that money on trying to replace their dog -(no matter how it's rationalised, that is basically what they are doing) -are searching for something. I don't blame them even though to my personal view they are going in a direction which doesn't really work.
It may take them a week, or ten lifetimes, to understand....for the 'penny to drop'. But one day it surely will. And when it does, that will be a happy day for them.
The Universe has time for all our different ways to discovery.

But here on this Earth, many dogs need urgent help, and large amounts of money like that could make such a difference.
It is just sad when people put so much into something like that. They did it before their dog even died. They could have brought home other dogs in need and had the same result.

The rest of the money would have helped so many animals. They could be happy knowing how much good they have done. Instead they have two dogs that look a lot like their dog and they will spend a lifetime trying to see their old dog in the clones. They will miss the beautiful creatures that the new dogs really are.

Maybe someday they will wake up and see what they are doing and realize that they have missed the point.
Catherine

I try very hard not too judge, but folks sure do make it difficult sometimes.
I guess it's things like this that make the world go 'round.
Imagine if we all thought exactly the same, the world would be a very boring place....or so they say.
[Image: m0223.gif] Come join the fun! [Image: m0218.gif]
mypetsonparade.com
And yes....it does make us wonder what happens to those dog-mothers, who bear the offspring. I am sure the pups are left with them for a minumum of eight weeks (?)
But are those mothers just breeding-machines? And what DOES happen to them after they can no longer do the job? And how are those females kept? In what conditions?
One would hope -for that sort of money -the mothers would be family dogs who live natural lives and are not exploited for their wombs. Do those who want their dogs cloned check these facts? One would hope so, if love for their deceased dog urged them to go down that route in the first place.
I know we all see things differently. Some people want things to stay the same and that means having the same pet. As much as I miss the pet who has passed, I take joy in the new pet.

I loved my little Pigbert the guinea pig, but look how much fun I have had with Murray. If I kept trying to clone Pigbert I would have missed so much. I gave Pigbert a full life, but that is all I could give him. Cinnamon the new rescue really looks like Pigbert. It is more than just a strong resemblance. She really looks like him. But she is not Pigbert. I can look at her and be reminded of him, but she is not him.

The dogs that donate the eggs are treated with strong hormones and I doubt that is good for their health. The dogs that bear the puppies would be considered lab specimens, like the egg donor dogs. I doubt they are kept alive once they stop being useful. Lab animals are not treated as pets. This would be as cold a situation as a puppy mill, but with better treatment because of the value of each puppy.
If there were extra puppies from a cloning that are not paid for, they would be used as research animals or disposed of. It is a business and a lab. It doesn't care about the dogs themselves. The dogs are basically a product that is being sold at a high price.
It is a sad reality and I wouldn't want to be a part of it.
Catherine