Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crows shot while at wildlife centre
The Alberta Wildlife Sanctuary staff were distressed to discover that someone shot all the crows and ravens in their outdoor flight cage.
These were birds that were soon to be released to the wild. It is sad that they went through recovery from injuries only to be killed in a cage.
The centre has been having problems lately with vandalism. I don't know if it is the same person, but it is scary that they are under attack.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0

I doubt they will ever find who did this. I just hope they can find a way to protect the rest of the animals.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

That is upsetting news, as all animal cruelty is. Too bad there weren't security cameras.
Security cameras would seem to be a good idea, if this sort of thing is going to carry on and the perpetrators haven't been caught.
I imagine they will look into security cameras. It would be cheaper than an all night security guard. That is so sad when animals in a sanctuary are not safe.
Alberta has a bit of a history with attacking animals in cages. In the 1970's someone climbed a fence at Calgary zoo and shot animals in cages. They used a hunting bow and arrows. A lot of animals like tigers were killed.

It is a cowardly act to kill animals in cages like that.
Catherine

I can't imagine what 'inspires' anyone to do that to defenceless animals or birds. It must cause such terror, as the animals know they can't escape. There ought to be a 15foot high electric fence set all around the place and switched on at night.
They might do better to have security dogs. I trust a dog to be on guard at all times. I think they are in a remote enough place that they should be safe.
There are sick people out there. One thing mentioned in the article was the fact that they killed birds that have no legal protection. The law would be really hard on them if they shot a hawk or any of the protected animals.

It is still bad, but if they get caught they will mostly get charged with trespassing.
Catherine

Those poor birds!! I used to have a crow as a child. He was a wonderful buddy of mine.
Crows are a wonderful bird. These birds were recovering and almost ready for release. The killer deprived them of the joy of free flight again. It was such a cowardly act.

Quote:Those poor birds!! I used to have a crow as a child. He was a wonderful buddy of mine.

A crow would have been an interesting companion. You should do a post telling us about him.
Catherine