Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Police run over dog, a number of times
This is a shocking incident. The police were called out because of a possible coyote sighting. They are seen to drive along the street. They came across a dog that had escaped from its back yard. They deliberately ran it over multiple times before they shot it. They thought it was a coyote.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&e...56UT6ToVFA

Two things, they killed and animal without confirming what it was and they were supposed to kill the coyote humanely. What they did was not a humane killing.
The dog in question was 20 years old, deaf and mostly blind. This was an old gentle dog. Nothing she did could have been considered threatening. I really feel for the dog's owner. She has to live with the loss and the knowledge that it was a cruel kill.

I don't think the dog looked like a coyote at all.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I saw this on the news tonight and was shocked. I concur with what you've said.
I honestly couldn't even finish watching that. What a horrific thing to do to any creature. I wouldn't do that to a worm.

The poor dog. And my heart goes out to its people. This is not the end-of-life scenario anyone wants for their dog.

The police in that vehicle should be prosecuted for animal cruelty -even if they DID believe it was a coyote.
I agree totally. Even if he thought it was a coyote he acted contrary to police rules and showed cruelty in his actions. Disciplinary action and an animal cruelty prosecution seem to be appropriate.
LPC, that isn't likely to happen, there are so many instances of police wrongdoing that go unpunished.
Quote:LPC, that isn't likely to happen, there are so many instances of police wrongdoing that go unpunished.

Speaking just for Canada, we have a lot of cases of police doing things they shouldn't. (We had the G20 in Toronto and the law suits will probably never end)

The kill was cruel and they didn't make a positive ID before they acted.
That is not proper procedure.

There is a trial going on right now of a police officer who shot a mentally ill teen on a streetcar, three times, and then even though the kid was down on the floor of the street car, he shot him six more times. The kid died. I bet he is acquitted.

There is little chance of a dog getting justice.
Catherine

Oh Catherine....that is very very sad and very corrupt.
Corruption exists in all countries. No-one should be above the Law but some think they are and have big boys backing them up!

Blessings to that poor dog who suffered so badly, poor Soul. And to his people.

And hopefully soon.....the people who pay their taxes -i.e. keep police officers in employment -will get their say, and bring about change where it is sorely needed.
Well said! I was not aware that Canadian police had such a reputation. It is appalling that police officers are allowed to get away with such things. How did this sort of "police get away with it" activity ever get off the ground, I wonder? Tobi is right, it is basically corruption if crimes committed by police officers are ignored.

Poor Merrick, run free on the astral, restored and free of old age and pain!
Canadian police are not bad and yet there is a problem. Too many incidents happen. They tasered an eighty year old woman with Alzheimer's who had slipped out of her nursing home and had a small knife. She was scared and running down the road. They screamed at her to drop the knife and then the tasered her and she broke her hip. She is dead now.

The wrong kind of people become police officers. I get the impression that they watch way too many police action movies.

There are good police officers, but there are way too many bad ones.
I sometimes think they are actually scared and react out of fear.
They were told the coyote had rabies(I doubt it, if there even was a coyote) and they were afraid. They need better training so they stop these fear reaction killings.

I feel for the dog and his person. They were together 18 years. The dog deserved to die peacefully with his family, not out on the street the victim of police cruelty.
Catherine

This is so sad. That poor old dog shouldn't have had to die that way. Some police are so thoughtless!!