Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Murray is unwell
Murray is the biggest pig I have ever had. He has been strong and alert and such a character.
Now he has stopped eating and is shrinking. He has lost weight. I am hand feeding him, but he is really not himself. I am hoping the extra care and the company of Cinnamon and Caramel will be enough to get him going again.

He looks like a tired old man. I know guinea pigs can age fast and they don't have long lives, but this seems so fast.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Am sorry to hear that Catherine, I hope he recovers.
I am giving him treats and spoon feeding him baby food and Vit C.
He is a rescue so I have no idea of his age. He is 4-6 years old. Robbie, who was rescued with him is also slowing down.

[Image: IMG_9956.JPG]
This is Murray.

He is one of the nicest guinea pigs I have ever known.
Catherine

I do hope that this is just a blip and that he gets back to his old self soon.
Just a thought, Catherine, but how are his teeth? The front one can look fine but sometimes the cheek / back teeth can grow inwards over the tongue, and this can make eating difficult and they can get a very sore tongue. It's very hard to check ourselves and a vet will use an instrument to examine them. It can be done at home but you need to hold the cheeks open, gently of course. The easiest way to do it is to use two teaspoons. You use the handles to hold the cheeks open and the back teeth can usually be seen. They don't like it, of course, and they really have to be on their backs to do it, but it can rule out tooth issues, or rule them in and they are relatively easy for an experienced vet to deal with.

Of course it may just be Murray's time. I hope not.

Come on, Murray, my boy.
Greeting from Wales.
Hwyl Fawr o'r Cymru.
This is the web site of the rescue I volunteer at.
http://guinearescue.blogspot.co.uk/
Kind thoughts to dear little Murray. I hope he will pull this around, but if he doesn't, and it's his time to be old, then bless him.
I can only second what Tobi and Cibach have written. I know that you are very attached to dear Murray.

I do so hope that he picks up, but if his time has come, may it be peaceful and in your loving company.
Thank-you for all your kind thoughts.

How is Murray?
I don't know. He swallows food put in his mouth. He is just so passive. It is like he has quit. He is not in pain anywhere. He is just sitting.

So I fed him and he was in a basket so I took him to visit the boys(Robbie, Rosebert and Norbert). He jumped out of the basket and joined the boys. They are all over him fussing and cleaning him. They are clearly happy to see Murray. He stopped spending time with them when Lambert died. Maybe he missed them, but is too old to visit them without help.

I don't know if this will make a difference, but I feel better seeing the boys caring for Murray. If it is the end and he is dying I would like him to stay with the piggies he has know for years. He likes the girls, but they are new friends. The bonds are not as deep.

I will keep up the hand feeding. If he is just depressed somehow it could make a difference.
Catherine

I took pictures of Murray with the boys. It is beautiful how they are comforting him.
[Image: IMG_1430.JPG]

He knows he is not alone.
[Image: IMG_1431.JPG]

This is a sweet picture.
[Image: IMG_1433.JPG]

I think they missed Murray.
[Image: IMG_1434.JPG]

I don't know if you can see it, but Robbie is cleaning Murray's face. They were rescued together.
[Image: IMG_1435.JPG]

Guinea pigs really are gentle creatures.
Catherine

Please keep us posted.
When I got up to check on Murray at 4:30am he was clearly dying. I spent some time with him and gave him an extra blanket.
I left him with his piggie brothers around him and when I checked again at 7:30am he was gone.

It is hard to believe that such a larger than life presence like Murray could slip away so quietly.

I have to leave for work in a few minutes and I am running around making sure everyone has what they need before I go. All I can say is that everywhere there is an absence of Murray. I am going to miss him so much. He was a real character and it was a happy day when I rescued him.
Catherine