Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How safe is your pet in a car crash
This is a bit disturbing. It seems that pet carriers that are supposed to protect our pets in the car during a crash simply fail to do so.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/...ly-6709233

This has better pictures and more info about the crash test dummy dogs used.
http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0
I don't know how many brands of carrier they have tested, but it doesn't look like the results so far are too good.

I wonder if a seat belt type restraint would be better in a small accident. I assume if the car is totalled things will not go well anyhow.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

We always put Puce on the back seat, with a secure dog harness on. To this we attached two special leads, which had seat belt clips on the other end. So Puce was securely kept in her seat, just like a human! That is probably the safest way to keep a dog securely restrained. However, with cats there must be a real problem. I would think that any container would need to be very securely fixed down in the safest part of the car (somewhere near the middle).

Regarding a serious accident (I think totalling is called "write-off" over here), our car had air bags, but luckily they were never needed.
I once was involved in a very serious car crash. I was turning right off an "A" road (that would be the equivalent of a left turn in the US); had done everything correctly (backed up by witnesses) but some silly person decided to overtake at that moment as he was coming round the bend behind the 3 or 4 cars which had slowed for me to turn right.
He slammed into the side of me at goodness knows what speed just as I was making the turn. My car was smashed then flipped right over like a pancake with me still in it, then squashed, roof to chassis.
My dog Toby had been in the passenger seat next to me, and for some strange reason I had been inspired to open the window quite a way before leaving town that day. That was unusual, as I never opened it too far on his side...

Anyway, the next thing I knew I was gazing at the road-grit, could hear the engine still running, and could smell a fuel leak. Ahead of me I could see Toby, about 50 yards up the road, on all four feet but cringing. I squeezed myself out of a gap in the broken window which I found out later was 9 inches high (!) and raced to Toby. He was covered in blood and I was worried, but it turned out the blood was mine and he was absolutely unscathed! He had no injury not even a knock to the head. He must have leapt out of the window just before the car was flipped over. I was so grateful. He was a very athletic tough little dog (Jack Russell) in the prime of life.

I kept wondering if he would have survived had he been inside the car....

But that is an unusual set of events. And I agree with any safety measure in cars for our beloved animals! I think that dog and cat crates should be very tough and able to withstand any blows without collapsing.
Tobi, thankfully you and your dog were not seriously hurt.

I agree that pet carriers should be safer. I hope I have one that is.
Yes totalled is the same as a write-off.

Wow Tobi, that was a terrible accident. Your dog must have had nine lives like a cat. It is a miracle that your both survived.

I hope my carriers are safe. Really, I usually ride public transit so it is a different issue. They do have less accidents. Also in an accident a bus is not going to be damaged much. On the negative side they do not have seat belts. Worse, I am often standing while on the bus. Even in a small accident I could go flying. So could a pet carrier.
Catherine

Thanks cathie. We were both okay that was very lucky ....or something! Actually I was flesh-wounded but okay in a few weeks. Toby was fine!

I remember buses Catherine. I spent a lot of time on them. In rush hour it sometimes is impossible to get a seat. Just hang on tightly to something, and use a strong pet carrier.
A lot of times with reptiles they are tucked in side my sweater for warmth(inside a pillow case for security). I have to be careful how I stand then. I make a point of not travelling at rush hour unless I have to. I am sure if I took out the snake I would get a place to sit. I have never tried it, but I am tempted.

I can't hold the overhead loops anymore. A few weeks back, the bus stopped suddenly and I did not and I have wrenched my shoulder. It will heal, but it will take time and some movements are painful. I bet you don't miss the buses.
Catherine

Those overhead loops can be no help at all. They were all anyone had to hang onto on the underground in London, during rush hour....(which I remember too!) We were students and used to do back flips on them, to the shock-horror of most of the passengers!

But buses stop suddenly and roll around all over the place, and it is too easy to get hurt. Are there any poles to hang onto?

Okay....that sounded strange....now you are going to say "No, but I did notice quite a few Hungarians use that bus".....hahaha
Smiley4 good one. Smiley4

There are never enough poles to hold onto on the buses. They are trying different designs and some are better than others. If I move to far down the bus I am away from anything but the overhead loops. The buses are so crowded it is hard to get on and off. I once missed my stop because I couldn't get to the door. I ended up riding the bus into the subway station and picking up my bus there.

My home subway station is undergoing repairs/renovation. It is a total disaster and it could be a couple more years before it is done. It will be worth it, when it is done. There will be automatic doors, elevators, everything will be better, but we have to put up with a total mess construction zone for years. I try to find ways to get to work that don't involve the subway since it is such a mess.

I have never seen anyone do back flips on a bus, train or streetcar. I am sure it was interesting to see.
Catherine