Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help the Bats
The Canadian Wildlife Federation has a campaign going to help the local bat populations. They are in serious trouble. Habitat loss is stressing them and worse, they are dying because of white nose syndrome.
They have a good slogan: Bats aren't scary. Extinction is.

http://cwf-fcf.org/en/do-something/chall...-the-bats/

I think it has inspired all kinds of activities to help bats.

I am glad someone is doing something to help the bats.

It turns out that our outgoing prime minister had a bat house at the official residence. I would never have guessed.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I'm willing to help.

That's surprising news about a bathouse at the Official Residence.
"That's surprising news about a bathouse at the Official Residence. "

I think the PMs wife installed it. She also rescued and fostered cats. I wish we had heard more about her.

Our local wildlife rescue centre has helped a lot of bats. After the 2013 ice storm, early in 2014, many bats were found disturbed in their hibernation. They had a full house of rescue bats for months. They all made it and were eventually released.

Bats need so much help right now. They are having a serious problem with white nose syndrome.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_nose_syndrome
Catherine

Long live the bats!  They are not a creature that I normally think about much.  It's great to bring attention to their plight. Heart
I'm glad to hear that people are caring about the bats. We get many here, and they are easy to see flying all around as nightfall arrives.
Here we have those tiny Pipistrelle bats and they are very sweet little things. I have handled one on two occasions, and they didn't bite. On one occasion one came down the chimney into the room, and I had to help it out.
The second occasion was when I found one lying on the stone outside my front door.
I telephoned a bats' protection society, and they told me to examine its wings. I did so, then called them back. There was a tiny hole in one wing. They told me to place it in a cardboard box and leave it quiet there. The next evening -even though the hole had not sealed up -the bat looked fine and when I took it out, it climbed on my hand, walked up my sleeve, then flew away. I was worried because it had had no food for 24 hours, but it seemed very well.
Tobi, you have the most amazing encounters with animals. I have rescued birds, but never a bat. I am sure the little bat went out and started catching insects right away.  It just needed a rest in a safe place. Smiley63
No doubt the peaceful atmosphere of your place helped him to recover.
Catherine