Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The invisible leash
I was out walking today and I came across a mother and her small daughter and their old dog, a black lab. He was so old his pace was slow and his muzzle was all white. He was just walking with them, not on a leash.

I watched them for a while and you could almost see this invisible leash between them holding them together. He stayed so close, the same distance the whole time. It is beautiful to see an old bond like that, so strong that it is almost a visible presence.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

It is a beautiful thing to see, I've occasionally seen it myself.
It was beautiful. He was such an old dog. You had to love how the people were walking slower so he could keep up.
Catherine

I can imagine that, and it must have been such a lovely family. That wasn't a leash, it was a love-cord.
You are so right. A love cord describes it perfectly.  I look around me at dogs being walked all the time. I see many love cords. Sometimes  they also need a real leash because there are bylaws and it can be safer(if they were taking the subway for example), but the love cord is what really ties them together. Heart
Catherine

Haha! With my Jack Russell, Toby, I would have needed a very long 'Love Cord'! On a moonlit night he used to take off across the orchard chasing the moon if we weren't careful. He would not come back no matter how hard we called and whistled. He must have heard that legend about the Moon being made of cream cheese! Sometimes we would be out there until one o' clock in the morning trying to get him back.
We learned to use a stout leash on moonlit nights!

But Misty would turn immediately if I called her. She never seemed to want to lose touch in any way. That was her choice.
I think it is a Jack Russell thing. Aren't they a very independent dog. Why would he come when you called. He would expect you to come when he calls.

Misty of course was always linked to your heart from her heart by an invisible cord. The line might be a little stretched right now, but the cord still connects you.
Catherine