Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marigold
At last I feel ready to post about my little wild thing.

Marigold came to us as a foster piggy. She was part of a large rescue of piggies that had been released into the wild on a farm in West Wales. The farmer found them on his fortnightly inspection. This was two weeks before an unusually early snowfall, that had been forecast, in October 2010.
20 or more piggies, mostly pregnant females and those that were not pregnant had already given birth in the preceding few days. Only one baby was found.
Marigold was one of the lucky ones. She gave birth at the rescue to three lovely girls. They came to me until they were old enough to be weaned.

[img][Image: 5247100615_39d9065c9b_z.jpg]Marigold and daughters by Gillian Clancy, on Flickr[/img]

This is Marigold with her 3 girls. the baby next to her is Ruby who stayed with her.
They all returned to the rescue and the other 2 girls were rehomed together, but for some reason nobody wanted Marigold and Ruby. They remained at the rescue for 6 weeks and then I brought them back home with me.
Marigold lived here for just about 5 years and was at least 18 months old when rescued.
She mellowed from a frightened wild wee thing into a happy and relaxed piggy, but she never entirely lost her wild instincts.
In her later years she made friends with all our other piggies and the companions of her last day were supplemented by Goldie. Both old girls became inseparable and Marigold followed Goldie to Rainbow bridge just a month later.
As with all my piggies, where possible, she died in my arms and I hope she felt the love and friendship of us all.
She is sadly missed by Cecil, her boar, and Ruby, her daughter, who both now occupy a pen built for 6.

This is the last photo I took of her. She's small but very sweet.

[img][Image: 22869550336_372b08568f_k.jpg]Last photo of Marigold by Gillian Clancy, on Flickr[/img]

Despite her occasional health issues she was a happy and ultimately relaxed piggy who took a large piece my heart with her when she left.
She has joined what we call The Garden Herd. Buried in a paper bag stuffed with sweet fresh hay, just the way she liked it.

Run free with all the others, Cariad, and come and find me when it's time.
Greeting from Wales.
Hwyl Fawr o'r Cymru.
This is the web site of the rescue I volunteer at.
http://guinearescue.blogspot.co.uk/
Smiley19 Dear sweet Marigold.  We shall all miss you.  She was a special girl who overcame the frightening experience of being abandoned.
She was a wonderful mother  and good companion to her cage mates. Ruby looked so much like her. They were all so cute.

You gave her many happy years and wonderful piggie companions. She was able to be with her daughter to the end and know that she left Ruby well and happy with you and Cecil. You loved her and she knew she was loved

Her tired body can rest with your garden herd and her spirit can run free across the Rainbow Bridge.  You and I have a large herd waiting for us across the Rainbow Bridge. We are sad now. but we shall party later.

I hope Ruby and Cecil are alright. Big hugs to you all from me and my herd of piggies.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

A very poignant thread. Delightful photos. I'l glad that you felt composed enough to put this thread on the forum, as a loving memorial.

Run free, dear Marigold!
Blessings to you sweet little Marigold. You are loved very much. Heart 

Thank you for writing Marigold's story, Cibach. I found it very moving.

Poor little Souls! Abandoned in that winter of 2010! Thank goodness she was rescued.
I'm so sorry for your loss.
Thank you all for your kind words.
It always helps to hear from people who understand how we feel.

Cecil and Ruby have been very quiet this last week or so, but last night there was chatter and this morning they popcorned out for breakfast so I think they have accepted that this is how things are now.
In the next couple of weeks they will hopefully be paying a visit to the rescue to meet some new friends. There are plenty of prospects. It will depend on who Ruby likes. Cecil, I'm sure, will like whoever Ruby chooses!
Greeting from Wales.
Hwyl Fawr o'r Cymru.
This is the web site of the rescue I volunteer at.
http://guinearescue.blogspot.co.uk/
I am glad to hear they are adapting.
I hope they will find some new friends there, and all will go well.
Dear Ruby and Cecil, they must miss Marigold. They do go quiet for a few days don't they. They need time to accept that she is gone from them and that things are still okay.

I am happy that there will be new  friends joining the herd. A happy home should be shared with others who need to know happiness.  Yes I imagine the choice will be Ruby's. Cecil will be happy to welcome more ladies into the family.

It must be strange for Ruby. Marigold has been there all her life. Was Ruby the dominant female or was Marigold?
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

(11-11-2015, 10:27 AM)Cibach Wrote: Thank you all for your kind words.
It always helps to hear from people who understand how we feel.

Cecil and Ruby have been very quiet this last week or so, but last night there was chatter and this morning they popcorned out for breakfast so I think they have accepted that this is how things are now.
In the next couple of weeks they will hopefully be paying a visit to the rescue to meet some new friends. There are plenty of prospects. It will depend on who Ruby likes. Cecil, I'm sure, will like whoever Ruby chooses!

I'm sure the animals mourn, too.  Whenever I have lost a bird the other grieves for awhile.  I think getting some new pals will perk them up.  My Danny bird has perked up since I got him a new friend.

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]