Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sea World San Diego to end Orca Shows
I just heard on the news that sea World San Diego is going to give up its killer Whale shows. 
After the release of the movie Blackfish there have been many protests and Sea World is responding by making plans to close the show.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/...-san-diego

They plan to show the Orcas they have in a more natural setting.  They are trying to be sensitive to the attitudes  of the public.
Performing animals shows may have been acceptable years ago, but times have changed.  There is more respect for the Orcas.
We don't even call them killer whales anymore. We recognize Orcas as wonderfully complex and social animals.

I don't know how good a job Sea World will do with regards to the Orcas and the other sea mammals in their care. That is something only time will tell.
They say they are moving towards a more conservation oriented message. If they do, then they could do some good.

One thing is clear:  PROTESTING WORKS!
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I agree - the protests have paid fruit. However, despite all the hype from Sea World, the real reason is that their profits have been very hard hit by plunging attendances - and these falling attentdances are, without a doubt, because the protests have made the general public aware of the issues. It is a case of "voting with your feet" (by not going to Sea World).

This is a great development and is wonderful news. The result is excellent, despite the fact that Sea World have certainly acted because of plunging profits:

"Visitor numbers dropped 17% last year to 3.8 million, according to city authorities, and Manby warned investors last week that numbers are still falling and would contribute to a $10m hit to SeaWorld’s profits this year."

That is, ultimately, what made Sea World change. But never mind, the motives are less important than the result - improved animal welfare.
I have no doubt about why Sea World is changing. It was always about the money for them. 

The fact that they have had to change in response to public opinion is a very good thing. The public does not want to see performing killer whales.   They want to see Orcas in their natural habitat. This is a shift in people's thinking. We are starting to see animals as living thinking beings and not some kind of performing puppet. 

It is just Sea World San Diego so far, but the others will fall in line with the new program. I think all performing animal shows are on the way out. No one wants to see circus acts. We want to see the animals alive and well and living happy lives.
Catherine

I am, as usual, skeptical. It's good in a sense that they won't have to do tricks and have people riding on them. But that training and the performances seem to be their only form of mental and physical stimulation, so what's going to happen once that ceases? Are they just going to sit in the tanks and go even crazier?
I'm sick of this side of Sea World and I find it appalling that zookeepers all over the world defend these practices, even defending that awful situation in France not long ago.
Sure some animals do great in captivity. Orcas aren't one of those animals. And keepers, as their primary carers, should be stepping up, not accepting how it currently is.
I do not know how good a set up they can do for the Orcas.  It will tell us if they are sincere if they at least try to build something good.

Sadly many of the captive Orcas probably cannot be returned to the wild.   At least they will not be buying new orcas to train for new shows.   It is a small victory, but it is a victory and it is one that could spread.
Catherine

According to the article, "...the company will replace its Californian Shamu show – in which whales dive, jump and splash guests to the demands of their trainers – with “an all new orca experience focused on the natural environment [of the whales]”.

It is, for now, unclear what the company means by "focussed on the natural environment". I think we all share an element of scepticism about Sea World, which even sent an employee to infiltrate PETA. See http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2...tests-peta

But we can at least hope that commercial pressure will force Sea World to put these poor creatures into a more natural environment. What that will be, remains to be seen - and judged by the public. As they say, "The devil's in the detail"! (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_devil_...the_detail)
According to the article, "...the company will replace its Californian Shamu show – in which whales dive, jump and splash guests to the demands of their trainers – with “an all new orca experience focused on the natural environment [of the whales]”.

It is, for now, unclear what the company means by "focused on the natural environment". I think we all share an element of scepticism about Sea World, which even sent an employee to infiltrate PETA. See http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2...tests-peta

But we can at least hope that commercial pressure will force Sea World to put these poor creatures into a more natural environment. What that will be, remains to be seen - and judged by the public. As they say, "The devil's in the detail"! (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_devil_...the_detail)
I definitely think we shouldn't trust Sea World. They still need us to pressure them.

I don't know how good a job they will do of building Orca habitats. Anything will be better than how they live now and at least the shows are over.  As you say, the  devil is in the details.
(Thank-you for the link explaining the phrase)
We can't let them get away with building a large fish tank. It needs to be better than that.

Sending an undercover employee is insidious.  Notice how he incited violence and vandalism.  It is an old technique. If you can make protestors cross the line then there are grounds to stop them.  Peaceful protest is the last thing they want. People listen to peaceful protesters.

We can't trust Sea World, but we can count on them to make any changes that help their profits. If lpeople want more natural orca displays then that is what will happen.
Catherine