Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Large Rat Fossils Found
It appears that there was a breed of rats that weighed about 5 kilos about 10 times the size of our modern rats:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/201...113858.htm

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
That's an interesting article, another extinction due to Human activity.
Those were big rats! There are cats that would be smaller than that. It does sound like we led to their extinction.
It looks like we have ben messing things up for more years that we thought,

Can you imagine what that rat looked like.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Yes, as big as some dogs!! It's sad how many animals have become extinct due to humans.

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
We have not walked gently upon the Earth, that's for sure.

I wonder what other fossils they will find.
Giant mice perhaps?
Catherine

I wonder why rats have become smaller since then?

I can totally 'get' that such a big rat existed. Even nowadays we have creatures like the Capybara, which is a rodent I think, and may be related to rats? (I don't know. I am not sure of that) but it has to be the size of a small dog.
A Capybara is a close relative of the Guinea Pig.  The zoo has some and they are too funny. Picture a 60 pound guinea pig that can swim very well. They are more of a herd/grazing animal.

Rats are rodents, but they are more omnivorous. They form groups, but they are nocturnal and very clever.
Humans may have contributed to the extinction of the large rats, but I think the smaller ones would be more successful anyhow. 
The rats we have now can us tunnels left by other creatures. They can use natural caves and of course they can use human dwellings and structures. There smaller size allows them to sneak in and out with food. A larger rat would not have the strealth capabilities. Also the smaller rats use less food. They would be better able to survive in times when food is scarce. The smaller rats would be faster and harder to catch.

Many ancient species were larger(If I remember correctly).
Catherine