Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Research Chimps to be retired
Smile 
The NIH(National Institutes of Health, USA) has been holding 50 chimps in research facilities in case they needed then for research.
They have decided to retire them all and send them to sanctuaries!  This is a big victory. Even if they were not being used for research, as long as they were in research facilities, they were still considered to be research animals. Now they will never be at risk again. They will live out their natural lives in peace at a chimp sanctuary.

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-new...ng-n465961

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/19/health/nih...index.html

This is a beautiful thing. Soon we can be at peace that no chimp is used in research.

I think the director/founder of Chimp Haven said it so well about providing chimps with a good retirement..it is the right thing to do.

I am so glad it is actually being done.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I just watched a video on this it was so touching to see them out with trees to climb,some of them looked so old and one was limping.
It is good news that they are finally being sent to sanctuaries. I hope they are very happy there. They have led sad lives. I hope they will all have the freedom and time to make up for that in their remaining years.
I think we can breath a sigh of relief for primates in labs. These chimps are being freed from their caged life. Soon all primates in cages will be treated with more respect. I think we are seeing an end of primates as lab animals.

Chimp Haven is an amazing place.  I never tire of watching the chimps walking outside for the first time.  Some of the chimps are old and tired. I hope they have time to enjoy the peace and happiness of a more natural life.
Catherine

This is great news. There is another chimp who is being held captive in a smaller cage all alone for 40 years now. They are trying to get the people to free this chimp to a sanctuary. The poor chimp!

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
I think we are seeing a movement that won't be stopped. Research and other captive chimps will be freed to live in sanctuaries with other chimps. We will never do this to primates again.  Our thinking has changed and using our animal cousins without their consent will not happen again. 

This is a very  happy thing.
Catherine

We are evolving as humans, at least some of us are, thankfully.

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
On the whole there is an improvement in our thinking. It will be slow, but someday we will all get there. We will recognize that we can't treat other animals like that.
People are questioning circuses and animal shows everywhere.

There is a new day of compassion to animals coming.
Catherine