Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mia's IMT
Mia my boxer has Immune-Mediated Thrombocytopenia or IMT. We found out when she started acting really lethargic. It’s often triggered by either ticks or rabies vaccinations. Which just days before Mia started showing signs she had gotten her rabies shot. It’s something she’s always had and it was only a matter of time before it was triggered.
Basically IMT is a bleeding condition where her immune system attacks her blood cells. At the beginning she was on 5 different medications. She was down to just prednisone and the 2 pills that help protect her stomach from it. But about 2 weeks ago she got a scratch on her toe. It was fine until we started taking the prednisone down to a lower dose. We had already taken her down to ½ a pill twice a day but after we took her down two ½ a pill once a day it sparked her immune system to attack her tone. 2 days after the change in her prednisone we woke up and her leg was swollen twice the size it should be and she could barely open her eyes. This was on Thanksgiving so all the vets were closed. We quickly called my cousin and he told us to give her another half a pill and for the time being keeping her on the half a pill morning and night until we can get her to her regular vet. My mom took her Friday and apparently talked to one of the useless vets (not her regular one who is awesome) that kept going on about nail bed trauma and wasn’t addressing the fact that the swelling and eyes were caused by her immune system going out of wack because of her toe. She kept saying it had nothing to do with her IMT and she wanted to remove the nail to have it analyzed. Being the smart and informed people we are, my mother and I mocked her relentlessly after. Basically that vet wasn’t paying attention to all the facts and we weren’t sure how to get her to understand. But we got antibiotics and eye drops out of her which is was we were after anyways. So hopefully we will talk to her regular vet next week and get everything straightened out in her chart. But that’s where we are with her. IMT is rough especially during an out break and then you think you’re doing good and are getting close to being completely off all meds then… relapse.
I am sorry to hear that Mia had a relapse. She was doing so well. I hope you can get her into remission again. It is slow going. Good thing you stood up to the vet. I would think removing the nail might cause even worse problems for Mia. Did she not read the chart? You would be the ones who know what is happening. You are the ones that work with her every day.

Get well soon Mia. We are all thinking of you.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

It's great that you stay on top of things with your pets. We all have to take responsibility and know our pets better than anyone. We can't just follow along blindly even when at the vet.
[Image: m0223.gif] Come join the fun! [Image: m0218.gif]
mypetsonparade.com
I have lived to regret not insisting when I was sure I was right.Sad

I think a pet owner has an instinct just like a parent has an instinct. No one knows your baby like you do.
I hope Mia is having better days again.
Catherine

Yes I'm sorry about Mia's relapse too. Caring for her, it must be hard to come up against vets who don't understand.
Mia is in the right place with the love and care you give her.
How is our girl doing?
Catherine

I'm also very sorry to hear about the relapse. I do so hope that things improve. This page might be of interest to you, if you haven't seen it already: http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/hea...sease.aspx

Please let us know the latest news.
I read the link. I have been hearing that vaccines are being questioned. I know they put a lot of chemicals in vaccines that should not be there. I have always wondered if it is such a good idea to give multiple vaccines at the same time. Isn't that asking too much of our immune response. I would wonder if that is not one way that we get these reactions that cause chronic health issues.

I hope Mia is improving.
Catherine

So Mia is doing well. She got better after after that relapse we got her leg and eyes better then went to take her down on the pred and 2 days later her leg swelled up again... this time it was a small pocket over on old scar where she had gotten stitches almost a year and half ago. The spot had a little hole and it when i pushed on it the skin was really thin feeling and a red-brown watery blood came out. I got as much as I could out, cleaned it and wrapped it. She was fine with the wrap until I left her alone for probably 15 minutes. When I came back she had chewed off the wrap and the skin was all red and the fur was all gone around the sore. I cleaned it again and noticed that I could just touch the fur around the spot and it would rub off. The next day I took her to the vet and got some more antibiotics for her and thanks to my mom getting an infected cuticle she got some special iodine scrub. So we've been soaking her foot in that as well. Now the it's healing up nicely and we took her down to 1/4 pred in the morning and night. While she's on the antibiotics. I think maybe she just didn't have a high enough dose of antibiotics before because it was the dumb vet. The vet we saw this last time was the vet who diagnosed Mia and the one we've talked to the most. She gave her a higher dose of antibiotics and wants us to keep her on them for the time being. So far so good. Maybe after Christmas we will be able to take her down to 1/4 pred once a day.
I am glad Mia is holding her own. You are really on top of her health issues. I hope this time the infection clears up completely. Good thing you saw the vet that understands Mia's condition. The treatment should work better.
You have her prednisone levels down. What else is she taking?
Catherine