Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deer cull on Vancouver Island
There is talk of a deer cull on Vancouver Island around the city of Victoria, Oak Bay to be more specific.
The perception is that there are too many deer. So the public is being asked by pro deer groups to actually count the deer by identifying individuals. 
They feel there is more chance of saving the deer if the actual number is know and if individuals are named.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0

I think if they work on it they can find a way to live with the deer. Trees can be protected and areas can be allowed to grow so there is food for the deer. It just takes the will to protect them.
What we don't need is another animal cull.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Well, I for one do hope they won't need to go out shooting deer. What's the point in protecting them, and then coming in and killing some off?
Humans....honestly! Undecided
Most of the push to cull them comes from people who think they might eat their gardens. Some people seem unable to share the planet with anything. They also probably freak out at the sign of a weed.

Maybe we should hire a therapist for the people who can't cope with the deer.
Catherine

Human beings can be horrible sometimes I do hope it doesn't go ahead,the day will come in the future when they wonder where all the animals went. Sad
It is so sad.  The deer really are not harming things.  It is like the racoons here. Some people are hysterical in their hatred of them. They don't give me any trouble. It is people's perception of the situation that is off.   It will be terrible if it results in the death of the deer who just want to live quiet lives in a place where they have always lived.
Catherine