Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Racoon visits donut shop
Rabies is fatal in all species once it develops. Humans survive because they start treatment right away and develop enough immunity by the time the virus has multiplied. In countries without proper treatment, people are still dying of rabies. The only real way to deal with it is vaccination of any animals that are vulnerable.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

My dog gets her vaccinations for it every 2 years I think.

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
Suzy would be safe then. If she got bitten or you got bitten by a questionable animal they would still want to do treatment. Of course if they could test the animal for rabies then they would know for sure. I believe a police officer was bitten, but the racoon tested negative for rabies.

Rabies is still a very dangerous disease.
Catherine

I guess I didn't realize it was so dangerous and fatal to most species.

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
In some parts of the world Rabies still claims many lives. I think that is why stray dogs are treated so harshly in some countries. Killing them seems like a way to protect against rabies. It would be better to vaccinate the animals and give them good homes. There are groups in India, where the problem is bad, who are trying to neuter and vaccinate. It will take time, but the number of rabies deaths will drop off.

We found a few cases of Racoon rabies  in a city south of Toronto so they have started vaccinating again. They eliminated rabies for awhile by using special rabies vaccine food baits. The animals eat them and are vaccinated.
Catherine