Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Movies that shouldn't have been made
Over the years there have been lots of movies about animals. We love them all or do we.
What about those movies that make animals out to be some sort of sinister presence  out to destroy humans.

The Birds was a good horror film until you think about how it portrayed animals.
Since then there have been a number of big movies that made an animal(s) the villain.
Who can forget Jaws. How many sharks died because of that movie?
I haven't seen The Grey and I won't. Once again, wolves are seen as dangerous creatures out to kill people. The human hero wins by cruelly killing the wolves. In reality his survival chances would have been better if her had lived with and cooperated with the wolves.

The latest movie The Revenant, is another in the long line of animals as enemies movies. I haven't seen it and I know little about it. I understand it is bears this time. Why do we need to make animals a dangerous enemy. Why do we need to make nature the enemy. People have enough trouble recognizing that they are part of nature and need to live in harmony with it.

Yet another film that I don't want to see. Yet another film that will get people worked up against nature.
http://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/jan...ks-on-film

Don't even get me started on Snakes On A Plane. I choose to see it as a comedy. If you know anything about snakes it is a ridiculously funny movie. All the snakes used were totally harmless. People's reactions to them were laughable.
People don't like snakes anyhow so the negative publicity couldn't make things worse. Seriously, people running screaming from a corn snake. How  funny is that. 79 85 25
Hint: Snakes are temperature sensitive. Turn down the heat and they would have all stopped moving(just like the brains of the people on the plane)
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Yes I totally see what you are saying Catherine. Wolves, bears, sharks, mountain lions, all get a very bad rap don't they? Basically?
There seems to be a deep fascination for humans..... with negative stereotypes of animals, and scary things. Why? I don't know. There is a magnetic attraction for humans to want to be scared. So wolves, bears, and all the rest pay the price. And yes, the way they are portrayed in the movies can definitely affect peoples' opinions and reactions to those animals in real life.

I did watch "The Grey" with Liam Neeson, but have forgotten what happened now. Perhaps it's better I forget.

I never watched "Snakes on a plane". Maybe I should.....I could do with a laugh! Smiley4  It's amazing a film could be so successful, with such a gaping hole in the plot.

This is quite a good movie:
"Eight below" (dogs in it!) It has sad moments but has heart, and a decent ending:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzAiyu6bTAo
Movies create a perception of animals and nature as the enemy. To survive you would be better to work with nature. How many dolphins have saved drowning people. How many dogs have risked their lives for people. Nature feeds us. Animals and nature are our friends and family.  How about a movie that shows how a person in a survival situation is saved by animals and nature. It could be a realistic movie and it could be very interesting and exciting.

Snakes on a plane is funny, but the documentary about the making of snakes on a plane is very interesting. The snakes were professionals and were treated very carefully. No snakes were harmed or distressed in any way.

I haven't seen Eight Below. Tomorrow when it is much earlier I will have to watch it. It is a long movie.
Catherine

I love it when I see that animals are portrayed as helpers. I think I have fear of some animals because of some movies I've seen. The movie Jaws scared the hell out of me but that was many, many years ago and I am smarter now. I don't go to see movies that portray animals badly, they won't get my dollar!!

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
Jaws caused many people to fear sharks. All these movies play on people's fears. All they do is justify animal cruelty and a certain mistrust of animals.

Good for you that you don't watch such movies. If we all stayed away it might make them notice and change the type of movie they make.
Catherine

My little boy got the Paddington Bear dvd for Christmas - such an evil destructive bear lol!
Animal Communication & Reiki at Talking to Animals
I have never read Paddington Bear Jason! Maybe I should. Now why does the bear have to do bad things...?

When I was a little girl, I became scared of bears and lions. If I went into a room at night, I had to come out backwards when the light was turned off, just in case there were bears and lions in there! That possibiity was very real for me! I am sure now, when I look back, that it had to do with something I had seen on TV or read, or perhaps what people had told me -probably in a light-hearted way, not thinking they would make me scared.
But for some unknown reason I was never scared of wolves! I was fascinated with them, and had a 'crush' on them for ages. Mind you, I had never met or seen a real one.

We got a puppy one Christmas. The pup was meant to be a secret until morning, but she started howling in the kitchen in the middle of the night. I woke up and woke up my mother, and whispered to her that I was certain there was a wolf in the kitchen, and I was going downstairs to take a look. I was so excited about that.
It ended up being one of the best nights of my life! Smiley4 Heart
I am sure the fears that children have are taught. Movies and TV give people a lot of their images of animals.  If we want to see people respect and treat animals well they need to stop fearing them. We need Movies that show animals as they are.

Tobi, I bet the puppy was a welcome surprise. They couldn't have chosen a better gift.

I don't know Paddington bear. We had bear cartoons with destructive bears, but they were loveable. I aways thought Paddington was loveable. I should look him up.
Catherine

Ha ha no I was joking about him being naughty. Back in the late 70's/early 80's my sister and I used to watch Paddington Bear on the TV but they have brought out a new film version which is really quite good...

Animal Communication & Reiki at Talking to Animals
Nicole Kidman and Colin Firth! In the same movie! With a bear! Heart

Even if he is a character, Paddington is cute and loveable. It is the kind of movie where you want to rescue him and you overlook his faults.
I have never seen anything of the Paddington series. I bet I would have loved it.

I prefer a movie like this to one where they hunt and kill bears and wolves.

I still haven't had time to watch Eight Below. Maybe tomorrow night?
Catherine