Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An emotional support turkey on a plane
It seems that a passenger was able to bring an emotional support animal aboard a delta Airlines flight. That animal is a turkey.
When you think of how hard they had to work to get trained dogs on planes, this is incredible. The bird sat in the seat next to him.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/01/15/...95458.html

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=1&at=dt0

I did not know turkeys were being used as emotional support animals. I didn't even think about it.
It seems we have really expanded the whole field of service animals.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Yes, I saw this on Facebook. I'm so glad the airlines let the turkey on the plane. I hope if I ever need to ride a plane that Suzy will be allowed on with me.

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
It is amazing that doors are now open to  support animals of all kinds no matter what type of support animal they are and no matter what type of support they provide.

This is a big change from the days when seeing eye dogs had to ride in baggage cars of trains.

I did not know turkeys could serve as support animals. I have never really spent time with a turkey. Most of us never get a chance to meet a live turkey. He looks like a very fine animal.
Catherine

How unusual! But good news he could come on board and fly in style. He must do a wonderful job, and deserves a little 5-star treatment!
I had no idea a Turkey could be  an 'emotional support animal'. I love this. How wonderful.

I remember the days when dogs had to ride in the "Guards Van" (or baggage compartments) on trains in UK. They were tied up with all the cases and bikes, all on their own, and it was horrible.
During Misty's years however, rail travel for dogs was normal. They could ride in the normal compartment with their person/people.

I think it would be great if all animals were allowed to travel on all forms of transport, comfortably, and with their human companion.
Right now snakes are not welcome anywhere. I can imagine it was the same thing for dogs in the old days.  Even now some restaurant or shop will ban a service dog. I love that some of the regular shops near me let people bring their dogs in.

Regular dogs are still not allowed in restaurants, but many have found a way that the health department can't object to. They set up a sidewalk patio with tables along the fence and the dog is tied on the outside of the patio "fence". Of course what can you do if the dog walks through the fence and sits beside its person who is sitting beside the fence.

Someday animals will be welcome everywhere. People who relax and accept urban wildlife seem to get along with it.

Certainly any service animal should be welcome anywhere.
Catherine

I can't wait until they allow our pets to come to the restaurants with us. People are still backwards in this regard. I take Suzy into many places. Only one place objected, it was the food bank a few years ago. I take Suzy to the post office, doctor's office, pet store, grocery store, bank. Most people come up to us and pet Suzy and say how cute she is.

It is odd that a food bank objected. You would think that they would be understanding.

Some day they will have pet friendly restaurants. Wouldn't it be nice if you could eat and they could bring something special for Suzy so she could eat with you.

I would love to take a beardie to a coffee shop. I take them for a walk(I walk the beardie rides), but it would be nice to have a destination.
Catherine

The food bank said it was against the law to let her where food is. But it's funny how the grocery store said I could bring her in as long as she is clean. I would be afraid to try to take Suzy in a coffee shop because someone else said they kicked her out for bringing her dog in.

Some places are trying to find ways to let animals join us in stores. Some of our local bookstores welcome dogs. The stationary store has a cat. Someone complained and they were told to get rid of it. There were so many petitions to let them keep the cat, that the cat is still there. We the animal friendly, won a battle.
Catherine

Well, emotional support animal are important for people who suffers anxiety, depression or any other mental illness so yaa that should be appreciated.