Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Animal Die Offs
This is an alarming issue. Over recent years it has been noticed that there are large numbers of species die offs. Right now it is a type of west coast sea bird. Other times it is land mammals.
Scientists have not yet begun to figure out why or what the consequences will be.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/19/scienc....html?_r=0

I think this may be a sign of a deeper disturbance of the ecosystems of the planet. We have caused climate change and a lot of other changes to the health of the planet.  Who knows what other consequences there will be. Animals dying may be just a symptom of a more serious problem.

What ever it is, we need to take it seriously.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

(01-19-2016, 05:24 PM)Catherine Wrote: Scientists have not yet begun to figure out why or what the consequences will be. (Stress given by LPC)

I think this may be a sign of a deeper disturbance of the ecosystems of the planet. We have caused climate change and a lot of other changes to the health of the planet.  Who knows what other consequences there will be. Animals dying may be just a symptom of a more serious problem.

What ever it is, we need to take it seriously.

Yes, they seem to be the last people to be figuring things out, instead of the first!

I totally agree with your observations. We have meddled with nature so much that we are in this over our heads. Let us hope that it is not too late to stop the species die-offs.
You need only look at organisations such as Sea Shepherd that have been showing us for decades that the oceans are dying. Dead oceans = dead planet
Quote: I totally agree with your observations. We have meddled with nature so much that we are in this over our heads. Let us hope that it is not too late to stop the species die-offs.
Quote:You need only look at organisations such as Sea Shepherd that have been showing us for decades that the oceans are dying. Dead oceans = dead planet

We need to do what ever we can for the health of the planet. I do mean each and every one of us and each and every country.
There need to be big actions to curb climate change and reduce our impact on the planet. We also need each and every one of us to live as green as possible.

If all we do is focus on living green and working for the planet, who knows, we might have a good impact.

It may not be clear why individual species are dying, but I think the cause of the overall die off is obvious. We have messed things up and it is having an impact.

Sea Shepherd is so right. We have been killing the oceans and they are essential to the health of the planet. Who knows what the big garbage islands are doing to the health of the oceans. We have no idea how to get rid of them. At very least we need to stop making them bigger.
Catherine

This is really sad that the Murres are dying off. It is a very serious problem and I sure hope they can find out what is causing it and help them not to die off totally. Poor birds!

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
There have been a lot of animal deaths in the past years. I think they have no idea what is wrong. I know there is a problem with whales beaching themselves and they have no idea why it is happening.

We are watching a disaster unfolding and we need to do anything we can to help stabilize the planet and the climate of the planet. Much of what is wrong is our fault anyhow.
Catherine

Yes, the oceans need some cleaning up. I know a lot of trash goes into the ocean. I have seen pictures of trash islands before. That can't be good.

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
Those trash islands are so big that they have no idea how to clean them up. It can't be good to have that much toxic material in the water. Also, the trash islands block the sun. Who knows what that will do to life in the oceans.

I might see if I can find anything about that on the internet. I will do more research on the subject.
Catherine