Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dogs to be poisoned by Karachi City Council
Here is a petition which is worthy of everyone' support. Karachi City Council plans to poison all stray dogs. Poisoning is horrific, as it is not immediate and causes agonising pain and suffering prior to passing.

The petition urges the city to institute a system of catch and sterilise. That is a humane and effective alternative. I urge anyone reading this to sign:
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/100/210/7...og-issues/
Yes it is neither quick nor easy to die from poisoning, unless it is Cyanide in the right amount. No doubt the Council will use Strychnine, and that is a horrible death. Not only that, but Strychnine stays in the soil and remains for a very long time, can affect (kill off) wildlife for many years to come, and poison the environment.
Strychnine is outlawed in some places, but in other places, not so.
And even if they use Warfarin, which is commonly used in 'pest control' -that causes horrible internal bleeding.

These poor dogs are strays through no fault of their own initially. They were probably dogs who had been 'dumped' by humans!

I really hope and pray a kinder solution will be found. Spay/neuter/release.....or the founding of a rescue center for them, and an adoption programme.

Some street-dogs make the most wonderful companions. It might sound strange, but not only do they have mixed-breed genetics in their favour, but have learned things more 'mollycoddled' dogs have not. They have learned valuable social skills, often how to be paeceful with humans (usually in order to get food) and will not fight for no reason, as they know they are vulnerable. They are great dogs to re-home, once they get used to their new situation.

Thank you for posting this. Of course, I signed. I hope it will help them....
This is terrible and so wrong. Whatever poison they use it will be a cruel death. It will not be well contained so other creatures will be killed as a side effect.

Worse is the fact that killing strays does not seem to solve the problem. There always seem to be more to replace them. Trap-Neuter-Release has been shown to be an effective way to deal with stray/feral animals. Most of the dogs could be rehomed so it would really be trap and neuter. They could also be vaccinated for rabies. A well vaccinated population is the best defence against rabies.

It is a typical quick fix solution to a problem that humans have created. I hope someone in authority sees reason.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I don't know how these people can live with themselves! What a horror! I see that I have already signed this several days ago. I hope they will not poison these poor creatures.

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
It is a terrible thing. I can't understand who would come up with a solution like this.

I just hope the petition does some good.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine