Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Goodbye little Trixie
Then there is Jake Krinkle Snake. Every instinct told me I was bringing him home to be comfortable before he died. That was six years ago. He not only lived, he has done very well. I can't fix the damage to his spine, but he has thrived in his own way.  I will do a Jake update soon. He is amazing.

Danny bird has done well for you. Sometimes a pet just needs to be loved. I think we both have done our best for the pets we have taken in. Some have lived short and some have lived long, but we have given them good lives.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Yes, we have given them good lives. I'm sure you are a great pet mother. It hurts so when we lose them, though.

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
I do hate losing one of my babies, but I long ago learned to let go when the time comes. When it is time for them to go it is time.
Little Trixie left so soon, but I could see that it was time.

I have a number of my pets that are getting old and I know our time is short. Two of my guinea pigs are past six years and even though they both look very good, I know they will leave me soon. That is the price of loving an animal that has a shorter life.
It hurts, but it is worth it.
Catherine

I hope your current pets will live longer than usual lives. My Danny bird is 6.5 and Suzy is about the same age. Danny is getting old for a parakeet. I'm going to take the birds in for a check up when it's Spring.

Some of my snakes are much older. I rehomed them and I was told they were three years old. I have raised snakes from and egg now and have three year olds. My rehomes were much older. That means I have snakes that are past ten years old. Raven, the black corn snake female, isn't looking good. I think she is failing.

Jack, Caitrin and David look good, but are older.

I have no way of knowing how old some of my lizards are and even if I knew, I don't know what their life span is. I just have to look after them the best I can and hope they at least have the life span they should have.
Catherine

Sounds like you have a big pet family there. All we can hope for is that they live healthily.

Most of my pets are healthy.  Of course some of them are with me because they have problems. Henry the bearded dragon is in good health, but he is still paralyzed.  I haven't seem any improvement in a while. I think he is as good as he is ever going to get.
Jake Krinkle  Snake is fabulous.

Still, Raven does not look good and I think it is age more than anything else.
Catherine

Yes, they do change with age. The older they get we can anticipate they will have health problems. Kind of like most people, too. I know you give them all the best life!

I am noticing a certain look to a reptile when it gets old. They seem to get thinner and their colours fade a little.
I am having to learn senior reptile care now that I have senior reptiles. Older snakes can't coil as tightly as a younger snake. I think they get stiff. They also seem quieter and they eat less often.

I don't know if they lose teeth. Snake teeth are so tiny and they are hard to see.
Catherine

I have had some amphibian pets, newts, that all got sick and passed eventually. They don't move as much as they once did is what I found.