Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Goodbye little Trixie
Sometimes the people who raise animals know more about them because they have observed them  throughout their lives.
Also animal breeders talk to each other and share ideas for treating problems.

I know if you have a reptile that gets mites(a small blood sucking parasite) those of us who have reptiles will have first hand experience and know how to deal with them.

It has been years since I have seen a mite, but if I think I might be seeing a mite, I treat right away and I clean up the whole tank and freeze bedding and logs and anything else that can harbour mites. We use a harmless natural product, not an insecticide.

The insecticide sprays are hard on the animals. I think it was exposure  to insecticides while in the egg that made Jake Krinkle Snake deformed. Things absorb through the egg membrane right into the developing baby reptile.

It is less work to spray insecticides around, but it is not in the best interests of the animals.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

No, insecticides only cause problems for the reptiles. That's good you know how to get rid of mites without insecticides. I'm sorry that Jack was exposed to them.

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
It is one of the examples of experienced breeders knowing better how to deal with reptile problems.
Some things you can only learn from experience or from an experienced person.
Catherine

That's so true!!

It takes an experienced breeder to know when a snake is pregnant. Right now I am on egg watch. I know some of my girls are close. I am just watching for the subtle restlessness that tells me they are ready to lay their eggs.
Catherine

Sounds really exciting! Smile

It is a slow exciting because it could take weeks.

Egg hatching is even slower. Once they start hatching it can take two days for any one baby to come out of the egg. Snakes are in no hurry.
Catherine