Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Camel wrestling
What do you think of camel wrestling?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/...65497.html

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
I don't like wrestling in the first place. Smiley13

When the wrestling involves animals, it is wrong. They have to train and goad the animals into fighting.
This is the same as cockerel fighting and dog fighting. We know they are both wrong. It is obvious when we see two animals trying to kill each other for human entertainment that this is wrong.
Camels don't look as violent, but it is still wrong.

Where is the entertainment in seeing creatures hurt each other.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Indeed. Humans are not forced to wrestle; they choose to do it for money. But these poor animals do not choose to fight; they are starved and goaded into fighting.

This has nothing to do with culture or tradition - and even if it were, so-called "culture" never excuses cruelty. It is to do with the many tourists who go to watch and bring in big money for the organisers. The real reason is in the article:

"We are continuing the tradition of our ancestors," says Mehmet Falakali, one of the brains behind the festival, who has attended the event every year since Turkey's Ministry of Culture and Tourism launched it in its current form in 1982." (Stress mine.)

Despite apparently breaking animal welfare laws in Turkey (especially starving the camels), the festival is sanctioned by the Government's Ministry of Culture and Tourism. The motive is clear: to bring in tourist money.
The things we will do for tourist money are sickening. Maybe that is why I don't like being a tourist. I don't want any part of the industry.

Why would someone want to fly to another country and watch animals hurt each other?
Catherine

Yes, this is a horrible practice. It is so inhumane to starve these poor creatures to make them fight.

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
I have never understood the appeal of animal fighting of any kind.

I don't think claiming tradition is an acceptable excuse for anything like this.
Catherine